We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Composting in a small flat

Quasar
Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
Hi folks.

I live in a small cramped flat and have quite a few plants. What with all this pruning and weeding out the dead leaves, I often have a bit of dead green matter to dispose of.

Is there any way I can use it as compost to put back into the plant pots? Do I just put everything in a container?

Any advice welcome. :)
Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think that one of the tricks with 'real' composting is that you need a certain mass to generate enough heat to turn it into compost rather than a nasty smelly mess, which is all I think you'll be able to generate indoors ...

However I'm no expert. and I wonder if you could put a wormery indoors? Would the wormery experts like to say?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I think that one of the tricks with 'real' composting is that you need a certain mass to generate enough heat to turn it into compost rather than a nasty smelly mess, which is all I think you'll be able to generate indoors ...

However I'm no expert. and I wonder if you could put a wormery indoors? Would the wormery experts like to say?

:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh dear - I know so little about these things. No I don't fancy a wormery indoors. I thought that I could just put cut leaves in a container and use them mixed with soil when re-potting. Maybe it's not such a good idea after all.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • with a limited biological system you can breed pests and disease.

composting actually breaks stuff down and get hot, breaking down organisims.

have you got a neighbour you can give the leaves to?

or if you have a balcony you can use a can-of-worms.

hth
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • tigerlily
    tigerlily Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    I have just bought a wormery, £20 all in and its well worth it. I would have no problems with putting the wormery indoors if I had to. At present its outside the back door.
    Debt free = December 2010...as of March 2006 it is now January 2010..... as of December 2008 it is now December 2009 :j hopefully sooner!!
    :jDEBT FREE:j January 2012, took longer but I got there, all by myself, through sheer hard work and pride!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure