Warning: Annual Travel Insurance Via This Site

A word of warning:

Yesterday I arranged European Annual Travel Insurance through this site. During the process You are shown example policies and have to tick to say you have read them. I saved and printed them, but when I have received the policy documents by email a day later they are not the same.

Specifically the excess has increased from 50 quid to 100 quid for many items, with such sharp practise who know what else has changed in the small print - especially if you don't check till you want to make a claim in 6 months time!

So make sure you check and complain if you don't get what you expect.

Also something I have noticed before, the Annual policies include a statement that says they will auto renew after 12 months if you do not cancel. Personally I prefer to shop around and do not like the fact that they think they can just take from your credit card - especially when you don't even realize you signed up for a recurring charge, not just a one-off.

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Can you explain how you arranged travel insurance through this site?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • I have free annual travel insurance through my bank account. Very handy!

Have you checked yours?
  • angel
    angel Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    This site doesn't sell insurance ... or anything for that matter! Maybe it was another site?
    :smileyhea "here, hare, here" :smileyhea
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Probably means moneysupermarket.
  • dmg24 wrote: »
    Can you explain how you arranged travel insurance through this site?

OK the referall is linked here

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance

I assume such deals provide funding for this website, so I am happy to click through.

I see now that the actual website is moneysupermarket.com

The policy, not honoured by the sub-supplier is also still hosted there

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/TravelInsurance/Policy/TMSMPolicyWording.pdf

AVOID!
  • dmg24
    mstombs,

You need to read what is written at the bottom of each page of this site:
    This website is based on journalistic research. It does not constitute financial advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All tips are followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, but maybe the change in T&Cs should drop it off the "recommended" list?
  • dmg24
    ManAtHome wrote: »
    Yes, but maybe the change in T&Cs should drop it off the "recommended" list?

Good point, although without reading the new policy we don't know that it isn't still a good deal?! x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Things do change over time - any recommendation has to be "this is good at the moment", but feedback has to be good.

MSTombs - could be worth PMing the actual docs to one of the MSE team - would agree that changes to T&Cs between the website and confirmation is a bit more than "sharp practice" (and I avoid the auto-renewal stuff as well - was this in the VERY small print?).
  • Just to follow up, I did forward details to MSE, and they offerred to follow up with moneysupermarket, but I was given a quick 'no questions asked' full refund so such intervention not required.

I notice the linked T's and C's now updated so maybe it was genuine web updating mistake? Check don't assume!

I guess this advice given elsewhere - don't rely on a single source for independent advice - the links on this site are all to moneysupermarket and are not comprehensive:- They don't include, for example

http://www.travel-insurance-web.com/

who presumably won't pay a commission which oils the wheels..

for example - personally I think it is worth paying 2 pounds extra to reduce excess from 100 to 50 quid (per person per claim etc etc...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure