First foray into s&s

13»

Replies

• Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    All my investments are now directly in equities. Regardless of management fees, I prefer to do the research and make my own decisions. I take a real interest in the companies I am investing in, track my portfolio against the FTSE 100, and I'm comfortably ahead.

For most of my life, I let other people make my investment decisions through first an insurance liked investment in commercial property and then an endowment policy. The returns on these - over a total of 34 years - were disappointing, only marginally better than the best savings accounts. I wish I had taken responsibility for my own investments a long time ago.
  • gadgetmindgadgetmind Forumite
    11.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I wish I had taken responsibility for my own investments a long time ago.

Yes, a common view and one that I share!

To add a few general points of my own to the discussion -

1) For those starting out, and "all in one" portfolio fund makes sense, particularly if you keep the costs down.
    2) HL are *very* slick and the regular bombardments of glossies could easily tempt people into heavy-promoted high-fee unproven funds, and you could end up with a portfolio that's more of a stamp collection before you know what's happening.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • saver861saver861 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_C wrote: »
    For most of my life, I let other people make my investment decisions through first an insurance liked investment in commercial property and then an endowment policy. The returns on these - over a total of 34 years - were disappointing, only marginally better than the best savings accounts. I wish I had taken responsibility for my own investments a long time ago.

34 years ago is a long time and its a different era now for sure. I have over 20 years of investments recommended by an IFA and I am quite happy with their performance.

Now that I have taken early retirement I have more time to look into these things - plus the availability of platforms and forums such as this, provide many useful resources to the DIY investor.

So I think there are many things I can do now that I would not have been able to do previously. I have an interest in all things financial so its partly a hobby also.

Equally though, I don't know what I don't know. The availability of such resources and info can lead me to a false sense of security and so I need to guard against myself! It is very easy to invest and move significant sums etc which initially are numbers on a screen. Were I paying out physical pound notes for the same things I'd probably be much more aware of the responsibility than entering numbers into a screen box.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals