Sliema Malta

HI
Going to Preluna Malta 10th April for the first time. Any tips on where we should be visiting in the area? Weather? Prices? Places to go for a drink in an evening?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g190327-Sliema_Island_of_Malta-Vacations.html

If you navigate by selecting the options/tabs on left hand side you can at least get some ideas.

Also try asking on the TA forum.

Have a FAB trip.
  • Poppops
    Poppops Posts: 313 Forumite
    It depends what you are looking for. Sliema is one of only a few resorts on Malta. There are loads of bars, restaurants and nightlife. It is also a commercial area. If you are after history, you'll need to travel. However, on Malta, travelling by bus is incredibly easy and cheap.

The capital, Valletta, is an amazing place to visit. The Grand Harbour is spectacular and the city is abundant with museums and galleries. The Lazarus War Rooms are excellent if you have any interest in the relationship between the UK and Malta in WW11.

It is worth researching Malta as some historical sites, for example The Hypogeum, get booked up months in advance. There are loads of different temples and ancient burial sites, OH loved the spitfire museum and Malta 5d gives you smells and sounds whilst telling Malta's story.

Marsakloxx is a lovely fishing village where they paint all the little fishing boats. Mdina, the silent city, is set on a hill and is breathtaking.

Malta is an amazing place and no longer caters more for the older generation. Where you are staying is a lively area with people of all ages.

I've never stayed in Sliema but I know there are bars and restaurants to suit all budgets. You can get an English breakfast for a few quid, or a lobster dinner. Last year there were plenty of happy hour, 2 for the price of 1 drinks being advertised.

Try pastizzi for breakfast. Its a local dish and between 30 and 50 cents. Lovely little pea or cheese pasties. Rabbit is also a local delicacy but I haven't tried that. Too cute for my taste.

We stay in Valletta and prices are comparable to the UK for food and drink. In Valletta or Mdina, a three course meal with a bottle of wine for two people is probably €100. Pasta or pizza at a street cafe around €10/15 per person. I think the food is incredibly high quality.

The weather will be lovely. Early 20s with some light rain

The Maltese have a strong connection with the UK. Oh, and they love cats. They are everywhere. Every shop, bar, restaurant seems to adopt one.

You're going to have a fabulous time! :beer:
    Sealed pot challenge member #325
    £591.02 / £1500

£2 saver club member #83
    Target £246 / £500
  • The bus stops are right of the doorstep of the Preluna, so you can get into Valletta easily. For a different trip into Valletta walk across to Sliema harbour and catch the ferry.

If you do intend to get around on the local buses get a pass http://www.publictransport.com.mt/ticket-type?l=1

You can get to most places by public transport, do your research before you go.

In the evening just walk along the promenade towards St Juliens and stop for a drink where you want.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks everyone, looking forward to it. Hope its warm! Will certainly get the bus pass to travel round
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I agree there is lots to do in Valetta. We've been in Malta 3 times now and there's still more to see! Last time we took the open top bus (do research as there are two companies and I can't remember which is better). We stayed in Sliema the first time and found it a bit quiet in the evenings so used to go over to St Julian's a few night. We have since just gone to St Julian's as there are nice hotels near the water there. Go in early evening and have dinner and drinks and you can even take the bus back, or walk back if it's not too late. The Avenue is great for casual but good quality Italian type food. Ir Rokna is great for Pizza. Hugo's or Barcelona are great for cocktails.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure