credit searches for reducing an overdraft

Options
I have been tidying up my finances recently and decided to reduce one of my overdrafts, it I currently £1000 but I haven't used it in 8 months so was going to reduce it to £300 but as I was going through the process it flagged up that a search may be recorded on my credit file.
I'm not particularly worried about my credit file but I have recently opened a Halifax reward account and 2 TSB plus accounts and I know to many searches can reflect badly should I actually need to apply for anything more.
There is no real reason for reducing the overdraft other than reducing my overall available credit which I also believe is a good thing.
Can anyone reassure me that reducing a overdraft can only be a positive step on a credit file before I go ahead and do it.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It varies. Some lenders may like the fact others think your a good risk. Others may worry that you have access to too much credit if you decide to go on a mad spree and not pay it back.

You will never know.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• enginesuck
    Options
    I would just leave it as it is. I was in the same boat, my OD is over 5K for some bizarre reason and i dont use it as a rule. I looked into reducing it to 500 but it would involve a search.

Just keep it as it is and dont use it - thats what ive done, besides one day you may need it - you never know what is round the corner.
  • Savingdad
    Options
    I thought about just leaving it but I have overdrafts on 5 accounts totaling 12k, none of them used so was just going to trim them down but for now they don't seem to be a problem and loads of extra searches would be I guess.
    Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport