Liebherr FF replaced by manufacturer now faulty

Options
I bought a Liebherr Fridge Freezer back in 2010 for £695. Within a year it had broken down and was irreparable, as it was under warranty it was replaced by the manufacturer. Three and a half years later this replacement has also developed an irreparable fault. My querry is whether I have any rights as the fridge freezer was supplied directly by the manufacturer and so the sales of goods act doesn't apply. I think it is reasonable to expect a fridge freezer originally bought for £695 to last more than three and a half years, but what are my rights, if any. I have spoken to Liebherr who have asked me to send my original proof of purchase and engineers report and I am currently waiting a response. Many thanks.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 January 2015 at 2:40PM
    Options
    I bought a Liebherr Fridge Freezer back in 2010 for £695. Within a year it had broken down and was irreparable, as it was under warranty it was replaced by the manufacturer. Three and a half years later this replacement has also developed an irreparable fault. My querry is whether I have any rights as the fridge freezer was supplied directly by the manufacturer and so the sales of goods act doesn't apply. I think it is reasonable to expect a fridge freezer originally bought for £695 to last more than three and a half years, but what are my rights, if any. I have spoken to Liebherr who have asked me to send my original proof of purchase and engineers report and I am currently waiting a response. Many thanks.
    The Sale of Goods Act does apply.

You have a right to seek a remedy from the seller under the Sale of Goods Act for up to six years following the sale.

The fact that the appliance has been replaced under the manufacturer's warranty does not change that.

The six years runs from the date of the original sale, not from the date of the replacement.
  • jaxdon
    jaxdon Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    my frost free hotpoint fridge freezer has been making a terrible noise and the drawers in the freezer are freezing up. I called the shop where \I bought it 2 1/2 years ago and they said I had to deal with the manufacturer. He said he knew about my rights up to 6 years but it was with the manufacturer..is this right?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jaxdon wrote: »
    my frost free hotpoint fridge freezer has been making a terrible noise and the drawers in the freezer are freezing up. I called the shop where \I bought it 2 1/2 years ago and they said I had to deal with the manufacturer. He said he knew about my rights up to 6 years but it was with the manufacturer..is this right?
    I'll leave you to answer your own question when you have read this short extract from MSE's Consumer Rights guide:
    Know who's responsible

When returning items, beware shops trying the oldest trick in the book: saying they're not responsible for the shoddy goods and you must call the manufacturer. This is total nonsense!

If a company fobs you off by saying “go to the maker instead”, it's wrong. It's the retailer's job to sort it.

It doesn't matter if it's an iPod from a high street shop or a designer frock from a department store. If something's broken, torn, ripped or faulty, the seller has a legal duty to put it right as your contract is with it.
    The rest of that article is worth looking at too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure