Timing standing orders

Options
What is the shortest time I should leave between standing orders that transfer money into an account with a Zero balance then transfer it out again or do banks do standing orders as money in money out on the same day?

I have been transferring the money manually but I want to automate the process.

This is for my Nationwide account for my travel insurance.
over 73 but not over the hill.

Comments

• Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At least 3, preferably 4 or 5 calendar days, to allow for long weekends
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But even leaving so long between might not cover a glitch with the sending account if you don't spot it and act in time.

I have the same FlexAccount set up as you and I fund it manually each month, and immediately withdraw, on the same day I make all my other transfers (both automated and manual) each month. Takes all of, what, 30 seconds? Surely not too onerous? After all, you need to log in several times a month anyway to check everything's OK don't you? If you don't, you should do!
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Taking YorkshireBoys comment about checking your online banking, it's the first thing I do every morning. I wake up and before I get out of bed I grab my mobile phone and log in via the NatWest app. I know approx how much I should have in each account and my expected ins and outs so a quick glance highlights anything wrong or unexpected. Takes me one minute.

It's the only way to keep a firm control on your money and avoid charges or worse.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ERICS_MUM wrote: »
    it's the first thing I do every morning. I wake up and before I get out of bed I grab my mobile phone and log in via the NatWest app.
    With approaching 30 current accounts, my legs would be well and truly crossed by the time I'd checked all mine!
  • vouch0r
    vouch0r Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    But even leaving so long between might not cover a glitch with the sending account if you don't spot it and act in time.

I have the same FlexAccount set up as you and I fund it manually each month, and immediately withdraw, on the same day I make all my other transfers (both automated and manual) each month. Takes all of, what, 30 seconds? Surely not too onerous? After all, you need to log in several times a month anyway to check everything's OK don't you? If you don't, you should do!

that's interesting, i have automated all the transfers via SO for the same day though indeed none are zero , even interest is skimmed off into another account, so i just check there to make sure its arrived
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same day in/out is not an issue if you have sufficient money in the accounts to cater for any hiccups. The OP asked about a transfer
    into an account with a zero balance then transfer it out again. I would not dare that with same-day SOs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure