Shared parental leave

Options
I am ashamed to say that despite reading a couple of documents about shared parental leave, I can't quite get my head around it. I wonder if anyone can help clarify?

I work full time, as does my husband. He's been with the same company for 8yrs but his most recent promotion, and therefore newest contract, started a year ago. I've been working in the same school for over 6 yrs, newest contract after promotion last year. Baby due June. I believe we both qualify for SPL.

I intend to take 40 weeks maternity leave before returning to work and was then hoping my husband can take the remaining entitlement (12 weeks I think). At the point of me returning to work, do I immediately go back on full pay for my job and then husband will be on unpaid leave (because I think SPL statutory pay stops at 39 weeks?).

Can anyone shed any light please? I've asked HR but the policy is not yet written so they cannot tell me anything!
Thanks in advance and sorry if I'm being daft!

Comments

• hawk30
    hawk30 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    You're not being daft. Yes, when you return to work you will be on full pay and since your SMP will have run out your DH won't be entitled to any statutory pay.
  • ALI1973
    ALI1973 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that SPL is basically - 52 weeks of leave starting at the date the baby is born. 39 weeks are paid leave. Either parent can take the leave at any time to the max of 52 weeks.

So you will take 39 weeks maternity paid leave, 1 week spl unpaid and husband will take 12 weeks unpaid spl. You will get full pay upon ur return to work.

Thats how I have understood it.
  • ellissa
    ellissa Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I just started to question it because it was suggested to me that even though I would return to work, I would still receive no pay and my husband would receive his full wages. Although this did not make any sense to me - what would be the point of Spl - I was worried by it.

Must be the hormones
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Male career suicide
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income