claiming new items on home insurance

Options
sorry if this is a stupid question, but we need to double glaze our living room (currently not double glazed and window is very fragile) and get a new kitchen door. We also have a dodgy cold water tank and want to replace it with a combi boiler

My husband and I cannot afford to pay all this out in a oner - roughly £4700 for whole lot. He thought you can just phone up your insurers and get them to put it in - IYKWIM? thinking theywould just put your monthlypayment up or something

I am not sure of the answer

any help much appreciated.

xx
:jDebt free from 2010:j
(except for mortgage lol)

Comments

• brazilianwax
    brazilianwax Posts: 9,438 Forumite
    Options
    I'm confused.

What does replacing windows, doors and boilers have to do with your insurers? :confused:

Unless there's been an incident (break in/flood/fire etc) then these things are maintenance which isn't covered by any kind of insurance that I know of.
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • dave_behave
    Options
    Insurance is there for one off accidents that occur.......... not just for an old house that needs updating.

When your car gets old and needs replacing, would you try and claim on your car insurance???
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As others have said your insurance is there for unforseen accidents/incidents. Wanting to up date your house doesn't fall into either category. If you can't afford to do it all at once you will have to prioritise and gets things done as and when you can afford them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure