Anyone Used Cheap Ebay Carbon Handlebars?

Options
I'm not enjoying the riding position on my hybrid bicycle just now because it uses straight & narrow handlebars on it where as my mountain bike uses raised wide bars and feels a much better riding position for me.

I'm wanting to try some wide & raised bars on the hybrid to see if this makes it feel comfier to cycle and found these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31-8mm-3K-Carbon-Fiber-Straight-Handlebar-MTB-Bike-Bicycle-Flat-Bar-Riser-Bar-BG-/121519838539?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item1c4b25954b

They're much cheaper than anywhere else and was wondering if anyone has tried these or any other cheap ebay carbon parts.

I was thinking if i don't like the feel of them on the hybrid i could use them on the mountain bike instead. I'm assuming even cheaper Carbon Fiber is strong enough for bars
All your base are belong to us.

Comments

• Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    i dont know about handle bars, but i know people who have used the cheap Chinese carbon frames.

And are usually pretty happy with them
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think i'll buy them and when they arrive give them a little strength test against my knee.

I'm sure they're as strong as they need to be, but just have visions in my head of me going at speed, hitting a bump and them failing.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

just a warning, a few weeks back I watched the program "fake Britian" and the overseas handle bars were shown being tested {not saying it was this seller} and they collapsed far sooner that the "legal regs" should have and were deemed dangerous.
    I am not trying to put you off getting a deal but as you say the risk while using them could be life changing {they were CF}
  • Retrogamer
    Options
    Thanks, all advise is welcome even if it's bad stories.

I think for the sake of £15 i'm going to order them anyway and test their strength bending them over my knee. If they snap during that, then i'm £15 down and that's that.

If they can survive that type of pressure they should be fine for general road cycling as well i'd imagine.
  • Hanky_Panky
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »

I think for the sake of £15 i'm going to order them anyway and test their strength bending them over my knee. If they snap during that, then i'm £15 down and that's that.

If they can survive that type of pressure they should be fine for general road cycling as well i'd imagine.

mmm...

I'm not sure that's a great idea. It may stand up to your 'test' initially then fail later. Watching the Fake Britain program showed that they could fail at just the wrong time and cause serious injury.

Not for me thanks.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »

That's not going to be anything like the stress the bar is going to be placed under as when on the road there's going to be a lot of vibration and sharp impacts (assuming it's a rigid fork) when riding over any bumps plus potential impacts from the side if the bike is knocked over. What would concern me is that you may not see any damage initially until it's worked its way far enough to break suddenly.

I agree it's a good idea to adjust your bars to get something more suitable but I don't really see the point in getting cheap carbon bars which are a potential risk and not much weight saving over a suitable set of aluminium bars.

John
  • Retrogamer
    Options
    It's a rigid carbon fork on it and you're right i do get a fair bit of impact on some parts of the road.

I'm just worried that if i buy a cheap set of alloy ones to try, i'll have the same type of risk involved, and if i buy an expensive set, fit them and then don't like how they feel i potentially wasted a bit more money.
  • frisbeej
    frisbeej Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    Alloy will be safer than cheap carbon. You can damage carbon parts just by doing up the bolts a fraction too tight.
  • Retrogamer
    Options
    I've watched a few videos on youtube of other types of carbon bars from ebay in action and read some reviews on carbon vs alloy and i think i'm going to do the more annoying option and try my mountain bike handlebars on my hybrid for a while to see how i feel before deciding to purchase a set.

Thanks again for all the insight folks, good advise as always.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How much weight will you save by going for carbon instead of alloy 50g? Or is it about vibration?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure