Part-time Student, Part-time Employed - Distance Learning advice.

Options
bex88
bex88 Posts: 640 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
edited 27 January 2015 at 8:54PM in Student MoneySaving
Hey all.

So I've been trying to find out as much info as I can and I still have some further questions so I thought this would be a good place for some advice.

After I finished school I went on to college to do a BTEC National Diploma in Art & Design, which I passed with a Merit, Distinction, Distinction. I then applied for and got accepted to do a Graphic design and Illustration degree, but due to circumstances, I ended up having to move back home with my parents who had moved away from the area. I didn't end up doing the course.

I went onto jobseekers for a while and then landed myself a part time supermarket job which I have been in for 6 years now. My younger brother is going to be graduating this year from his uni course and possibly a good job already awaiting. I've been feeling a little left behind, without much money and no chance with my current situation of being able to support myself if I was to move out.

So I've been seriously contemplating whether I should study to get that graphic design degree.

The company I've been looking at doing it through is RDI (https://www.rdi.co.uk) and the qualification is awarded through Anglia Rusken University.

The course is Part-time and they recommend studying 12-15 hours a week, which is fine for me. The average completion time is 4.5years - but the minimum is 3 years - which I'd prefer to aim for.

Now, the course is eligible to be paid for through Student Finance, however they said I can only apply for a tuition fee loan, no a maintenance loan. So the thing is, you need the complete adobe creative suite which is around £15 a month fir the first year and £21 a month after that, Or £700-800 one off payment (non commercial use) - which is something I need to take into account towards costs. Also if I need to pay any extra fees if I need to retake a module etc..

I was just really wondering if I'd be entitled to Any kind of other benefits to help with low income etc.. or not as I live with my parents?

Also, if anyone has any experience or advice or thoughts to help my decisions, I'd be very grateful.

This is a huge decision for me and I just don't want it to be a wrong one.

Thanks

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are some good reviews of the course here.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2512778
  • Smifff
    Smifff Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 10 February 2015 at 3:35PM
    Options
    Hi Bex, I thought I'd sign up to respond as I'm literally signing up to do Graphic Design with RDI myself for the April start and working part time/at home/25, almost 26

I dont think I can be much help because from what I've read as the course is classed as part time (even doing it full time) we dont get the maintenance loan or grant as you said.

I've read about 'University and college hardship funds' but as the University pay you that, I don't hold out much hope. An Admissions Advisor will apparently contact now that I've applied who is supposed to help with Student Finance etc so maybe they'll help.

The Adobe package is obviously going to be worthwhile over the 3 years as we'll be using it alot. It may be tough but I recommend paying monthly and just get saving what you can to help you. As it's a degree its going to be worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure