MSE News: EDF announces gas price cut, but it's nothing to party about

in Energy
8 replies 1.9K views
"EDF Energy has today become the last of the big six energy providers to announce a gas price cut this year..."
Read the full story:

EDF announces gas price cut, but it's nothing to party about

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• pugsley29pugsley29 Forumite
    714 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Gosh that was such an anticlimax edf cheapskates
    :mad:
    Wishing you a lucky 2021:beer:
  • pc1271pc1271 Forumite
    279 Posts
    If prices can't be reduced because they "buy their wholesale energy in advance" why can't they say ok, we'll reduce tariffs by 25% in November when we start selling the gas we've bought today ?

Why does no one ever ask this on the news interviews?
  • statorstator Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭
    They probably won't buy any gas (contracts) today unless people enter into new fixed rate deals, and I don't see that happening.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • tillycat123tillycat123 Forumite
    967 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The way the tariff is constructed for EDF anyway as I'm with them. The gas per unit is 3.1p but the daily standing charge is 26p.

There is very little to reduce in the gas price surely as its only pennies they are robbing us on the standing charge costs being so high.
  • The way the tariff is constructed for EDF anyway as I'm with them. The gas per unit is 3.1p but the daily standing charge is 26p.

There is very little to reduce in the gas price surely as its only pennies they are robbing us on the standing charge costs being so high.

ebico have 0p standing charge ;)
  • cinders59cinders59 Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am with EDF and have been waiting to see what they did, now will be switching
    are ebico good Bluebirdman of Alcathays?
    Thanks to all who post comps :)
    ITV winners membersclub#2
  • edited 28 January 2015 at 4:27PM
    Nada666Nada666 Forumite
    5K Posts
    edited 28 January 2015 at 4:27PM
    The way the tariff is constructed for EDF anyway as I'm with them. The gas per unit is 3.1p but the daily standing charge is 26p.

26p per day is not high. It is, pretty much, bang on nationwide average that all suppliers charge.

You are free to choose an alternative tariff that provides a different mix where you can find them. (And that involves confusion and cross-subsidising - so that, it could be said, is more 'robbing' than charging the standard standing charge you dislike.)

Standing charges amount to only one-seventh of an average bill - so six-sevenths of most customers' bill is reduced.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides