IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket

Options
2»

Comments

• ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    Are you referring to the letter from Debt Recovery Plus?

What are you scared about?

You need to understand and appreciate the difference between a Debt Collector and a Bailiff. A Bailiff is usually acting with a Court Order, which can only be obtained if someone takes you to court, you lose, and then you still refuse to pay up. Obviously that hasn't happened here, and won't. So a Bailiff has some degree of power and is a very different thing from a Debt Collector.

A Debt Collector has no powers at all. They do not have court warrants/orders, they do not call at your house (it is a complete waste of their time) and they cannot compel you to pay anything. They can simply politely ask for money they think you might owe. In this case, you don't owe anyone any money, so they're just hoping that you'll be suitably scared enough to simply send them the money.

They may say that they are recommending that their client take legal action against you, but again, that's just there to scare you into paying them. They won't actually do this, the moment their client takes legal action against you (which won't happen) then the Debt Collector is out of the loop, and they get no money. So they have no incentive to get their client to take legal action.

They can't take legal action themselves either, they are not party to any agreement you may or may not have formed with the parking company.

Debt Collectors have one objective, to say anything in order to get you to pay them.

We've seen hundreds and hundreds (if not thousands) of Debt Recovery Plus letters on here. Certainly enough to tell you that at some point you'll get some letters from a company called Zenith, which may scare you even more, but they're actually THE SAME COMPANY as Debt Recovery Plus. They obviously hope you won't spot that.

Please, don't worry. Debt Collector letters are harmless.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 November 2015 at 5:12PM
    Options
    flopsy2002 wrote: »
    I understand it must be very boring for to have new threads about parking, but for me I am actually very scared by my letter I received.
    I have found this site not easy to use. I have read the newbies thread and I must be really thick as I still dont understand what I need to do

the thing is , your thread isnt about parking , its about debt collectors

the debt collectors could have contacted you about any alleged debt , caused by anything that has happened, it just so happens that in your case its parking that has led to the debt collector letters, not something else

this is no longer about parking, its about debt collection, so if you read the last post my manxred fully you will realise he has told you all you need to know as regards debt collectors

post #4 of the newbies thread also tells you about debt collectors and their letters

just file them away and dont read them if it really bothers you , they cannot do nothing except scare you with letters

bear in mind that common phrase

"Q - how do you know when a debt collector is lying ? ??

A - when his lips are moving"

the only time you need further help and advice is if you received a Letter Before Claim (LBC) from a creditor, so from the PPC or landowner or managing agent

or if you received actual court papers (from either Northampton or Salford or a court usually local to the Parking Company - the PPC)

after 6 years they cannot do anything anyway , so relax unless the last 2 letters arrive, then act , and only then

until that happens (if ever) there is nothing you can do , other than pay, which we would say NO , DONT PAY !

therefore, you only pay if a judge decided that you pay, with the amount he or she sets as settlement

so yes debt collector queries are boring, mainly because its the same topic and same answers

like read this http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=64350592&postcount=4

there is nothing you can do, for the moment , apart from IGNORE THEM

this includes DRP , ZENITH and ZZPS amongst others

if you want something to do, contact the trust and your union and get this cancelled by the trust , then its game over
  • flopsy2002
    Options
    Thank-you both so much
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    No problem.

You'd be surprised at how few people know about these things, I myself didn't know that much about the legal system in the UK before I started coming on here.

The parking companies prey on this very fact.

Once you know better, of course, it gets a lot less scary. Not scary at all, in fact.

Come back anytime that you need any reassurance.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • spannerbee
    Options
    flopsy2002 wrote: »
    I understand it must be very boring for to have new threads about parking, but for me I am actually very scared by my letter I received.
    I have found this site not easy touse. I have read the newbies thread and I must be really thick as I still dont understand what I need to do
    exactly how I am feeling, you must have to do something special to get help when you are scard on these sites. Could I ask if you managed to get this sorted please? I am nearly in tears sat here.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,566 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spannerbee wrote: »
    exactly how I am feeling, you must have to do something special to get help when you are scard on these sites. Could I ask if you managed to get this sorted please? I am nearly in tears sat here.
    ##########
    Pop back to your own Thread sb - and have another read. I've just posted something for you there.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure