Transferring data from vista to XP by network

in Techie Stuff
9 replies 422 views
movingonmovingon Forumite
462 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
As far as I can tell I have set up network with new vista and old pc on XP, ie I have given them both the same workgroup name, can see the old pc icon on vista network page, and managed to set up wirelss printing on new computer from printer wired to old computer.

When I try "easy file sharing " (ha) wizard from XP , via network, it says that it cannot proceed as my network is not working properley.
Im fed up now. Any help appreciated.
thank you:mad:

Replies

• MercilessKillerMercilessKiller Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    On vista.. create a folder called test.. right mouse click on it, going into sharing properties and share the folder on the network as "test".

Then on the xp machine.. go to start > run

type in

\\hostname\test

where hostname is the name of the vista machine...

Does it come up with the right folder?
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    - Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
    [/FONT]
  • movingonmovingon Forumite
    462 Posts
    ✭✭
    yes, my network places- pc name- test
    7.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ....well thats the answer to your problem right?

By doing that you can access a folder on vista from xp.. thats what you wanted?
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    [/FONT]
    462 Posts
    ✭✭
    it seems i can access folders from one to the other this way, but what i was trying to do was use the easy transfer wizard so that I could import various folders and settings onto my new lap top. You can use a cable or a network, so i thought it would be simple to use a network as it seems it is set up. However the xp part of the process says that the network is not working. Result: confusion
    7.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    so dont use the wizard. By following my instructions you just accessed a folder over the network. Thats all the wizard did. You can just copy over folders from the other machine to yours by accessing it and copying and pasting.

I think you're contradicting yourself. You said in the subject your transferring from vista to xp? But just then you said you want to transfer onto the new laptop with vista?

If thats the case do the same the other way round.

Find the folder that contains the stuff you want to copy over and share it in the same way. Then do windows button + r to get the run bit where you can type in \\hostname\folder... then just highlight all, copy, and paste it on your vista drive somewhere :)
    [/FONT]
    462 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thank you for this. You are right -= I am so confused , I contradicted myself.
    I am trying to move from XP to Vista.

I understood everything you said, until this point "Then do windows button + r to get the run bit where you can type in \\hostname\folder... then just highlight all, copy, and paste it on your vista drive somewhere :)

So far , i have moved stuff I want to keep to shared folders on XP, then accessed it on vista......is this what you mean.........however when i have switched off XP and confined it to wherever old computers go in the sky, how do i access my stuff.....???:o
    7.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok so you have accessed it on vista.

This means that you are looking at the files on the xp machine, from vista...

What you need to do, is now select everything you want to transfer... then right mouse click and copy it...

Next find a folder on your vista machine where you want them.. right mouse click and paste. It will take a while for them to transfer but once finished they'll be stored on your vista machine :)
    [/FONT]
    462 Posts
    ✭✭
    Fantastic! This works. i cant thank you enough for saving my sanity!!!!xx
    7.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad it all works :)
    [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides