MSE Blog: The trials and tribulations of changing from a Miss to a Mrs

"If, like me, you recently got married, or are planning on getting married in the future and want to change your name in the process, then the below might help you..."

Read MSE Amy's full blog:
The trials and tribulations of changing from a Miss to a Mrs

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• dottymrsp
    dottymrsp Posts: 114 Forumite
    I got married recently and I found I didn't need my certificate for quite a lot of things... the council were happy with me just telling them (for council tax), the doctors were happy with me just telling them, considering I'd moved house, and was then using my new council tax bill as proof of address and proof of identity (the council tax billed that they'd changed to my name with no proof of ID) it's kind of scary, because I could have done a lot of things without a marriage certificate at all.
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Didn't have any problems except for the Santander mortgage.

Over the course of a year and telling them 6-7 times I received alternating letters to Miss/Mrs, then they got my initials wrong, then surname. They seemed to just guess how it was spelt when they misheard me!

Not giving my name away, but I'll show an example. Maiden name Brown, married name Blue for example's sake.

Miss J Brown
    Mrs J Brown
    Mrs L Blue
    Miss J Brewn
    Miss L Bewn
    Miss J Blue
    Mrs J Broo

And finally, huzzah, Mrs J Blue. I had even gone into a Santander branch to ask them what name they had on my file. Mrs J Blue they said, I showed them the different letters with varying and increasingly imaginative names on them. They simply shrugged and said they had Mrs J Blue on file. Hmm!
  • I have just posted a new thread on the forum, because my wife has been told she can't fly back on the return leg of her plane ticket because her passport was re-issued in her married name during the (long) trip, and they want to charge £650 for a new single ticket!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure