MoneySaving Poll: How do you rate your home phone and broadband provider?

2»

Comments

• When there are no service issues Plusnet are good & i have recommended them to my parents. However, there are sometimes serious problems with their service.

I recently changed from standard to fibre broadband which required an engineer visit. I reconfirmed the booked appointment 10 days before as I was taking a days holiday from work and was assured it was confirmed. I got up early for the 8am to 1pm appointment slot and waited.....and waited....and waited. When i phoned the call centre (lovely, friendly people) I was told that Openreach (BT engineers) had cancelled the appointment and changed it to 10 days later. When I queried why I wasn't informed, having taken a days leave, I was told that PN keep this type of service requirement on hold until 24 hours AFTER the scheduled appointment and then check to see if it happened as it should. Completely idiotic process - they should take it off hold couple of days before to check that all is on track & inform customer proactively if there's been a change - such as engineers cancelling appointment.

Then there's the issues my parents have had. They changed to PN July 2013 - it took 29 days for broadband to be online (having been cancelled by previous provider on scheduled changeover day). Multiple engineer visits to home & exchange. Not once did PN actually phone back with update when promised - basic customer service. Turns out both PN & openreach are completely incompetent in updating their systems - the problem was that when the switch was done in the exchange the last bit of the process wasnt' done so PN never did the final join up of service.

On 29/12/14 parents broadband went down; reported on 30/12/14 (later that day phone also failed) promised to be fixed by 2/1/15. Phone was, broadband wasn't. We have then had a repeat of the issues from July 2013 - it took until 19/1/15 for broadband to be fixed - multiple engineer appointments made (we were told) several cancelled without informing parents before the fact, and it turned out that actually the problem was due to incompetence of original engineer not fixing something properly at the exchange on 2/1/15. Only once out of the whole time did someone call back when promised & that was hour after mum called them to chase them. Every other time, when told had to wait for 48 or 72 hours for openreach to get off their b/side and PN would be in touch after this, no phone call was forthcoming - my mum had to phone them, always.

So whilst it's great that PN have a UK based call centre and all the people there we've dealt with have been lovely, when something goes wrong or system work needs doing they let you down. Not phoning customers back when promised & not being proactive are very simple process changes that would actually make an enormous difference as it is when something goes wrong that you actually need great customer service!
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Every supplier I have had has been poor in one form or another, I only have decent speed close to be advertised now thanks to a friendly and helpful telecoms engineer who earnt himself a night on the beer.

Compared with a friend in Romania who has a 100mb line for £8 a month its a rip off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure