We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

tomato plants after fruiting.

dannie
dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
Hello,

I have a tomato plant indoors which produced quite a lot of tomatoes last year and one this year. What do you do with your tomato plants after they have fruited? I do not want to kill the plant so am wondering if it is okay to just prune it and leave it where it is?

This particular windowsill and surrounding area needs a good clean so pruning the tomato plant might aid future cleaning of this part of the house.

Thanks.

Comments

• arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Apparently tomatoes are non-hardy perennials so if it is inside, it might continue to grow and fruit, but most people treat them as annuals in the uk, i.e. start afresh every year
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Tomatoe seeds are so cheap i start afresh with new ones and the old plants go in the compost bin.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    chop it up and compost it
  • Last October when all my toms were finished, I chopped all the leaves off and put them in a bucket of water, hopefully to make a feed for this year. Going to experiment with different feeds this year.
    Debt free except for this blooming mortgage!
    Offsetting is the way to go!
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Hello, thanks for the replies. In the end, I just pruned the tomato down and will see what happens. The pruned leaves and stems have been put in the compost bin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure