Starting A Catering Trailer - What To Tow With?

Options
Hello Guys,

I am starting a catering trailer with the intention of travelling to events around the UK serving oriental food. I am having problems finding a vehicle that would be suitable to tow a 10ft catering trailer.

At the moment I am trying to find both a trailer and a vehicle suitable. The problem that I am finding is my driving license was issued after 1997 so I am only legally able to drive up to a maximum of 3,500kg (car and trailer) without passing a trailer driving test. I am trying to stay within the 3,500kg limit (if possible) because passing another test would take extra time and money.

To start with I was thinking a small panel van like a ford transit connect or Citroen Ballingo but although they weigh around 2000kg (gross) they are only able to pull 800kg which I am not sure would be enough weight allowance for a 10ft catering trailer. My initial thoughts why a small panel van would be perfect is that I could store stock and equipment or sleep in the back.

So my main question is what would be a good towing car/van that weighs around 2000kg (gross) that is graced with a higher towing ability of 1300kg - 1500kg. Is there such a vehicle around? Does anyone have any tips or guidance on this topic? Maybe I am overestimating the trailer weight but as I understand it the car and trailer weights go by the maximum that they could weigh with load!??

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What research have you done into the business ? The site rental at the main events and shows is high, food hygiene training etc .....
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    I think you will struggle to find a suitable vehicle. It would be much simpler to just take the B+E test and be done with it then you can look for a decent sized van/trailer combination.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2015 at 8:19AM
    Options
    As someone who tows regularly ... I don't think you have a hope of getting a match on a B licence.

Most of them seem to be 1500Kg MTPLM. http://www.cateringtrailerhire.co.uk/specsheets.html

An alternative might be to fit out a van - Citroen H vans seem to be popular, though not cheap. eg. http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C568656
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 January 2015 at 9:58AM
    Options
    You'll get on much better if you pass your B+E, both in terms of driving experience (a 10ft catering trailer on sites is going to require some practice, especially if you're pulling it with a van), and in terms of finding a match.

You can normally get training + test for about £300-400, and it's well worth doing as it saves you the headache of making sure it's legal.

Bear in mind that without the +E, the trailer is assumed to weight the MTPLM (i.e. if it's rated up to 1500kg, then it counts as 1500kg even if it's empty and only tips the scales at 800kg). With the +E it counts as what it actually weighs, so it would be only 800kg).

Without the +E you're looking at getting a trailer at about 1500kg and then looking for a midsized car that has a gross weight of under 2000kg and a train weight of 3500kg or over. I was trying to do similar (1400kg trailer) and the best I could find was a diesel Astra or a smaller estate. Insignias and the likes are too big - your license would only let you tow about 1300kg.

With the test, all you need to do is find a trailer you like, and then anything that can tow it (essentially any old diesel SUV).

You should be able to claim the VAT back on the test, so do that. It'll take you a week and save you a fortune in vehicles. There might even be an insurance benefit to it.
  • jaymidlands
    Options
    have u checked other prices of other vans do u have a pitch or seen prices, as well as food safety..they will frown on the sleeping in the back with personal hygeine..
    then at places u need a generator for electric its rare at shows to get mains electric.. not putting u off either but its not a case of building a trailer pull up and sell most shows u enter months in advance
    1 other thing to bear in mind if going for a van and trailer once u pass E test is tacho laws once over 3500kgs...
  • Spicy_McHaggis
    Options
    have u checked other prices of other vans do u have a pitch or seen prices, as well as food safety..they will frown on the sleeping in the back with personal hygeine..
    then at places u need a generator for electric its rare at shows to get mains electric.. not putting u off either but its not a case of building a trailer pull up and sell most shows u enter months in advance
    1 other thing to bear in mind if going for a van and trailer once u pass E test is tacho laws once over 3500kgs...

Are you sure about that?

Van, towing and business I thought the weight didn't matter.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't forget that, to be legal, the total MAXIMUM weight must be less than 3500kg. That means the maximum loaded weight of the trailer plus the maximum LOADED weight (ie: not kerb / empty weight) of the towing vehicle. Also, for a normal B licence, the maximum LOADED weight of the trailer must be less than the KERB weight (ie: empty weight) of the towing vehicle.

For a 1500kg max weight trailer, that means you'd need to find a car / small van that weighs more than 1500kg when empty and less than 2000kg when fully loaded.

That's why just about everyone uses Transits or similar to tow catering trailers. That and the fact that towing something that heavy and bulky is no fun at all and gets dangerous as soon as conditions deteriorate - especially in cross winds! If you need to take the extra test then that's just one of the costs of setting up in business I'm afraid.

You will need to be legal because sooner or later you will be checked - especially if you have an unusual combination - which basically means anything except a transit / similar van.

Alternatively, you could risk it with something that doesn't meet the requirements and, if you're lucky, get lots of points on your licence or, if you're unlucky, end up upside-down at the side of the road with a big bill for cleaning chop suey off the tarmac.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Are you sure about that?

Van, towing and business I thought the weight didn't matter.

Think there were changes, my work put me through digital tacho and cpc just because I might have to drive a hilux with a trailer.
  • Spicy_McHaggis
    Options
    Think there were changes, my work put me through digital tacho and cpc just because I might have to drive a hilux with a trailer.

Sounds like they were right to do so.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/fleet-management/fleet-legislation-do-you-need-a-tachograph-if-you-tow-for-your-business-you-do/37588/
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2015 at 11:09AM
    Options
    I don't think this is new. My 2007 Landcruiser (4x4) has a notice on the doorframe and in the handbook saying that a tacho may be required if towing for business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure