Pip assessment this morning

Options
New so please bare with me .. Assessment was this morning . they never turned up last Friday . it was over two hours long!!! .My daughter already has Dla , high rate care, and low mobility it is till march 2015
but i fear she will get nothing as the the lady who assessed her told us we would not have enough points . are they ment to tell you ? My daughter is only 17 has not been in main education for many years . This has bought another episode she suffers from cvs , and migraines plus other health issues . The assessment seems to not care what your illness is but if you can make a coffee or piece of toast ..Does any one know how long it takes to get the knock back , we are both in tears how we were made to feel ...... many thanks :(

Comments

• merlin68
    merlin68 Posts: 2,405 Forumite
    Options
    Whats cvs? and what other health issues as she got. PIP is based on what she can and cant do. Not on the illness.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    I am also unsure what CVS is. What care and mobility needs does she have?
  • tea-bag
    tea-bag Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Cyclical vomiting syndrome
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    tea-bag wrote: »
    Cyclical vomiting syndrome

Thanks tea-bag ;)

I expect the issue will be that the condition does not require care from another adult.
  • catty26
    catty26 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    .Sorry back now , she also has mental problems been under cahms for many yrs now under healthy minds , She needs to be taken every where . she will go into a episode at anytime which can last for a month , meaning going into hosp or being being house bound Also we have to get emerg injections she has also been admitted into to hosp many times over the yrs , Yes she does need an adult to drive her help her , sorry but all this morning has ment a injection given by a doctor . I have tried to get them to let me train to do all this but as there inter muscle they wont let me ,or let me train to do drips , all i want to do is help her have a life ..i fear she will drop put of college now as she will only leave the house with me and in my car with coxing .I just wish they had not told us she may not get the points as i am already picking the mess up and over 2 hrs of this broke my heart for her
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    catty26 wrote: »
    New so please bare with me .. Assessment was this morning . they never turned up last Friday . it was over two hours long!!! .My daughter already has Dla , high rate care, and low mobility it is till march 2015
    but i fear she will get nothing as the the lady who assessed her told us we would not have enough points . are they ment to tell you ? My daughter is only 17 has not been in main education for many years . This has bought another episode she suffers from cvs , and migraines plus other health issues . The assessment seems to not care what your illness is but if you can make a coffee or piece of toast ..Does any one know how long it takes to get the knock back , we are both in tears how we were made to feel ...... many thanks :(

As a child, your daughter will have had more care needs. As an adult, she will be expected to cope with certain things herself. So, whereas you might have had to administer medication for migraine, put her to bed and settle her down in a darkened room, reassure her that the pain will subside, reassure her that any auras experienced will go away, etc, she will be expected at 17 to be able to cope with these and other associated symptoms. (I am assuming no learning disability, which would require the above to continue).

I don't know much about CVS, but as with migraines and any other health issue or disability, it is about care needs and not diagnosis.

Also, PIP descriptors are different to DLA descriptors.

Here's an example - my son has Down's Syndrome with numerous medical problems. He is on several medications a day and needs care both day and night. Until a few months ago, he was doubly incontinent. He receives high rate care and high rate mobility due to his needs. I know a few other families who have children with DS. None have the same medical conditions (some of my son's are very rare). Some do not require any medication at all. All can walk without pain, unlike my son who has very hypermobile joints and breathing difficulties, resulting him in needing a wheelchair. Some of the children in these families do not receive the same rate of DLA because although they have the same basic diagnosis, their needs are different. As an adult (he will be transferred to PIP later this year), he will need to meet the PIP descriptors instead of the DLA descriptors. As it happens, he is likely to qualify for enhanced rates for both care and mobility, such are his needs and how precisely they match the descriptors. I have not included all of his conditions, needs, etc here.

So, have you looked at the descriptors for PIP? Can you honestly say that she matches them enough to amass enough points? Bear in mind that the cooking descriptors are in relation to her becoming an adult. Despite her migraines and CVS, it is reasonable to expect that your daughter can make a hot drink and can cook a simple meal, whereas my son has no sense of danger and cannot make a meal. He can make a hot drink under supervision, but has difficulty lifting a kettle due to the instability of his wrists.

I hope this comparison shows why your daughter may not receive enough points. If you feel that she should receive more points than she does, you can, of course, appeal (although this can take several months). If you d this, it would be useful to note how your daughter fits the PIP descriptors.
  • catty26
    Options
    well i will wait and see when we get the letter . i just wish she hadnt told her today, really no need as she already knew she was in a episode and distressed and two hours seems not on for me at all .. dont no how long they take to let us know ? will let you no what points we get and we do intended to appeal . thanks for your input .
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    She needs to be able to do whatever she is assessed on:
    Repeatably - as often as needed.
    Safely - without causing herself or others safety issues.
    In a reasonable time period - no more than twice what it would take a normal person.

If she cannot do an activity - for whatever reason - for example it would bring on an episode, or likely cause her condition to worsen - then she cannot do it.

Even if she can actually struggle through and physically complete the action.
  • catty26
    Options
    Thanks for your reply we tried to tell the lady why she couldnt do these things but she just kept talking over us . I felt she put words in my daughters mouth ..and i didnt think telling her she wouldnt get enough points was clever as that just left my daughter in a mess and stressed .. There is no way on earth if we dont get it after 6 YRS on Dla that i will let her go threw this again .. Doubt its worth complaining to anyone , . many thanks again , just dont no how long we wait now for the no letter
  • tea-bag
    tea-bag Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    catty26 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply we tried to tell the lady why she couldnt do these things but she just kept talking over us . I felt she put words in my daughters mouth ..and i didnt think telling her she wouldnt get enough points was clever as that just left my daughter in a mess and stressed .. There is no way on earth if we dont get it after 6 YRS on Dla that i will let her go threw this again .. Doubt its worth complaining to anyone , . many thanks again , just dont no how long we wait now for the no letter

It seems so important to you what do you use the extra money for? How does it assist your disabilities?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure