DirectDebit Not SetUp Everyone Blaming Each Other

I know there were several warnings on here about certain banks and their Direct Debit switching services however I'd already chosen to do it so had kept both accounts with plenty of money in to cover the DD.

Just got a text message from my phone company telling me that my account is now restricted, having emailed the bank not less than an hour to go to check when my dd's would be set up.

The bank inform me that a mandate was sent to the company and they never returned it - they also say they've sent a second one today.

The phone company have said that they haven't received anything from the bank and so I still have no DD set up - although I've managed to pay this months over the phone.

Is there anything I can do to speed things up also I've never missed a payment and just wonder whether this will be noted etc.

Apologies if something similar has been posted but my search button doesnt want to work :(
2020 Mortgage-Free Wannabes #20 £1495.03/£2760 OP

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    First things first - large companies set up direct debits themselves under a system called AUDDIS.
    So your phone company would set it up and advise your bankers of this (no paper trail). Once this has been set up NatWest would pay under the instruction if you had funds in your account and the correct reference was applied to payment request.

What happens when you switch banks is that bank a will let bank b have a list of your direct debits and will write to telephone company to let them know that they should now debit bank b for future payments.Whether they take any notice is anybody's guess.

In your case if you had left both accounts open and with funds I don't see how there could be a problem unless you had cancelled the d/d with bank a.

So who's at fault? To me it sounds like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
  • scottishlass
    scottishlass Posts: 1,971
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    ejones999 wrote: »

In your case if you had left both accounts open and with funds I don't see how there could be a problem unless you had cancelled the d/d with bank a.

Thats the thing I didnt cancel any direct debits so can only assume bank b told bank a to cancel them for me. Its just frustrating being chucked from one post to the next.

Hopefully it'll get sorted soon.
  • Bank 'b' should have written to you, requesting you to confirm which d/d's and s/o's you wanted to continue paying. Did you sign & return this?
  • scottishlass
    scottishlass Posts: 1,971
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Bank 'b' should have written to you, requesting you to confirm which d/d's and s/o's you wanted to continue paying. Did you sign & return this?

Yes and I got a letter confirming they were all set up as of the 3rd of July yet the 20th July payment was never taken.

Oh well shall just have to set them up my self
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family