Company Relocating

Options
My company is relocating 23 miles away and laying on a mini bus for the workerts on our shift, someone mentioned that they had to change your contract and that you had to agree to the move or they had to offer redundancy, is this correct?

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Most contracts I've had specifically said my place of work could change. So no new contract required. What does yours say?
  • Another_not_new_user
    Options
    MRJOL wrote: »
    My company is relocating 23 miles away and laying on a mini bus for the workerts on our shift, someone mentioned that they had to change your contract and that you had to agree to the move or they had to offer redundancy, is this correct?

"Someone" is wrong. They do not have to offer redundancy. You may refuse to move, and you will be resigning. Even if there is no mobility clause in a contract, the law recognises that employers change locations for employment. The basic guidance used by employment tribunals is 50 miles each way and/or 90 minutes travel time each way. If your distance is only 23 miles and the employer is providing trnsport I would think there is little scope for redundancy. You can ask the employer, but they can refuse.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My department was relocated two years ago. I was given the choice of relocating with it or resigning.

They can't make you redundant as your job still exists. You do have the option not to go with them but as your role is not redundant, you Will be resigning, amd therefore quite possibly affecting your entitlement to any benefits.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport