Maternity grant help - please?!

Hi,

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant (1st child) and have been working temporary contract up until last week for an agency. Have now been advised to claim contributions based JSA for the next few weeks until can start MA. I have been looking into the benefits/entitlements that I can claim before/after birth. Have been looking at the SSMG and do not know if my partner and I will be entitled to it as he still works full time. I cannot claim any tax credits before the birth as I have been told our income will be too high!

People keep telling me (family with older children) that they recieved a grant from the government anyway to help with the cost of having a baby regardless of income. Is this correct as I have looked and cannot find any mention of this, only for the SSMG which is income assessed?! Did it change when they brought in the SSMG scheme and the Child Trust Fund as their children were all born before this point?

I would be very grateful if anyone could help to put my mind at ease!

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    The SSMG is means tested. That is the only grant AFAIK.

If your husband earns approx £25k or less you should get it, but you'll need to claim tax credits first.

As soon as baby arrives, put in claims for child benefit, tax credits and then the SSMG. You must claim the SSMG within 3 months of baby's birth date.

For a rough idea of how much tax credits you'll get, put your husbands salary into the calculator on www.entitledto.co.uk and make up a recent date for baby's DOB.

Best of luck - I've got a 12 week old baby, and I'm loving every minute of her!
    Here I go again on my own....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport