Extension single storey cost?

Options
I am looking for a simple pitch roof single storey extension 5m x 3m. Want it as a living room & dining room. Do yiu know roughly how much that would cost?

Any ways to keep cost down? How much did your extension cost & what did you have done? Any advice? Any Good websites or books?
“…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"

Comments

• Procrastinator333
    Options
    You don't say where you are - which plays a big part in the cost.

We had a 5x3m done on our last place about 3 yrs ago. Pitch roof, 2 velux, bifold doors across the back (expensive), and knocking out of internal walls and install of steels. Left us with a plaster shell. Cost £25k ish i think. We are in Surrey.

It isn't really about books, more about google to be honest. Just keep googling and keep reading, plenty out there to get you started and find ideas.

Our first step (we knew what we wanted) was to find someone to draw up plans. It doesn't need to be an architect, a drags men is fine. Just someone who can draw building reg plans.

Then after we got those we got round 4 builders. Asked them to quote for the full cost of materials, labour, and all disposal. Exact same brief to each of them. That way, when you get the quotes back you know you are comparing like for like.
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't say where you are - which plays a big part in the cost.

We had a 5x3m done on our last place about 3 yrs ago. Pitch roof, 2 velux, bifold doors across the back (expensive), and knocking out of internal walls and install of steels. Left us with a plaster shell. Cost £25k ish i think. We are in Surrey.

It isn't really about books, more about google to be honest. Just keep googling and keep reading, plenty out there to get you started and find ideas.

Our first step (we knew what we wanted) was to find someone to draw up plans. It doesn't need to be an architect, a drags men is fine. Just someone who can draw building reg plans.

Then after we got those we got round 4 builders. Asked them to quote for the full cost of materials, labour, and all disposal. Exact same brief to each of them. That way, when you get the quotes back you know you are comparing like for like.

Living in Hertfordshire.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • ds1980
    ds1980 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    We're currently doing similar in herts ~ 8 x 4.5m with 4m of bifolds, 3 velux, pitched roof and it'll be about £30k by the time I've finished but we'll have had a few other things done within that price like excavating 100m2 of driveway and new patio, and a wood burner in another lounge. If you can manage and do work yourself it should save you some money but it ll depend on what is required.

I paid for ground works separate to the building of brickwork and roof. I'll do internals including plumbing and pay a separate spark and plasterer. Bc is by a private firm and not the council.

I did all plans and manage project and touch wood no probs so far. I'm sure it isn't for everyone but its not difficult and should save money which is why I assume you're here.
  • Trig1903
    Trig1903 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, we've just had our first quote in for 5m x 3.6m pitched roof single story extension. Will have full height glazing on the gable end and vaulted style ceiling. Couple of double windows on either side and normal back door. All windows frames, facias, sofits will be timber. £35k plus VAT (so £42k in all) in Aberdeenshire for a fully project managed service from a company who do this sort of thing all the time. We await further quotes from local independent tradesmen.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    I had a 6m x 3.5m overall sized single storey extension, pitched roof, two Velux, patio doors in and out, plus three windows. I did my drawings, laboured on the groundworkers, decorated and project managed. I got in groundworkers, brickies, roofer, chippy, electrician, and plumber.

This was two-three years ago. The overall job came in at under £10000. If the budget is tight it pays to be proactive - savings are possible and value can be obtained.
  • ds1980
    ds1980 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    Nice. Materials alone for mine are a fair bit over £10k. It really depends on finish, quality and whether you can scavenge, find, hunt or get the best deals for what you need.

Fancy bits start to add up.
  • bursuc
    Options
    i", starting building an extension as well , at the middle of april and we are looking to hire separetaly all the the trades in the hope of getting a good price and trying saving some money . most of my friends are builders and looking to get good qoutes .
    1- foundations will be dig by me and instead of hiring skip for getting rid of the soil , one skip costing about £220 and i will ned 3 skips ., i am looking to get a grab lorry for £350.
    2- block work will be done for £800
    3- i haven"t got quote for roof yet .
    all the most expensive part will be the new kitchen . new central heating and radiators plus rewiring and new electric panel .
    my budget is £25000 and i am confident that i will manage to get it done . i will keep updated with photos and price when i start the project .
    ..and if anyone know someone who is in need of an upvc consevatory (3mx3m) in a very good condition for a decent price , feel free to inbox me . i need to get rid of him in order to start the extension .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport