Great Hunt: Breathing new life into otherwise worthless items for use around the home

Options
13»

Comments

• malkypaul
    malkypaul Posts: 31 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2015 at 2:14PM
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    I used a broken chest freezer as a grain store for chickens and it was so successful I got another from the local recycling depot for layers pellets.
    I also used old 7inch pots tp make a flower tower, (just staple/screw to a round/circular pole and fill with compost/soil mix, great for strawberries, lettuce, tumbling toms or just flowers.I shall be making a living wall with this method in the back wall of the greenhouse (10ft wide x 6ft tall)
    I also use mushroom trays (blue/black 12x16 inches) as propagation trays or garage storage, cabbage crates as movable propagation trays for gooseberry/blackcurrant hardwood cuttings, and for tree roots for grafting onto later, (line with plastic bin bag and fill with soil), mushroom trays and cabbage crates can be obtained from your local farm shop who are only too glad to GIVE away.:j
  • gloriouslyhappy
    gloriouslyhappy Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 January 2015 at 10:51PM
    Options
    I get an old double duvet off freecycle a couple of times a year, put an old duvet cover on it, fold it in half then half again and it makes a 100cm square bed big enough for a large dog like my Dalmatian. When it gets muddy I refold it on to a clean side so it has at least three re-folds before the cover needs a wash. In spring and autumn I get a 'new' one off freecycle and the old one goes to the ragman. Cheap, no-smell, comfy, practical dog bed, and it can be unfolded and popped in the car boot for vet visits. Simples!
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    knitowl wrote: »
    We have a local charity (Refurb) that will collect for free any furniture and household goods. They provide employment and training to adults with disabilities to recycle and refurbish the goods which are then sold at nominal prices to people on benefits. So a win win for on several fronts. psychological the council charges £25+ to take away unwanted large household goods

Shame we dont have something like that here, well we are meant to but the company started changing what they took to things like old pcs and cans for recycling, was a similar setup in they took on people with disabilities mostly, but were in papers for getting rid of paid staff and expecting them to work for free.

Would of been useful to me as I moved here to a unfurnished flat and had to buy furniture, spent about £150 so far and that was just luck as there was 1 charity shop in old town that sold stuff cheap so even with transport costs it was cheaper than a big name charity shop.
  • hannerrbabes
    Options
    Once I've taken the year's Christmas cards down, I cut them up to use next year as gift tags. It's free and I will never run out of gift tags! :)
  • sparklyfirefly
    Options
    I use the top part of an old metal toast rack to keep my chopping boards together and neat. Works a treat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure