PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2015 Cookbook challenge

Options

Comments

• clare33
    clare33 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ooo me me, I'd like to join too. Have copious books but end up cooking same old things. Also doing the Jan GC so can't go too mad but one new recipe per week sounds achievable. Want to start cooking OH some snacks for work so that might be a good place to start. I am pescatarian (eat fish but not meat) whereas OH eats meat so will also look for fish recipes and ones that can be adapted for meat/no meat.
  • aplaceinthesun
    Options
    Hi, please can I join in too?! I am not a terribly adventurous cook but have quite a few cookbooks and loads of cookery magazines. I, too, will aim for one new recipe per week. It might not be a main course necessarily though. Looking forward to this and seeing how everyone gets on. Good luck!
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OOh can I join too please?
    We have just moved house to our dream home, so not only do I have a big kitchen now, I have refamiliarised myself with all my cook books after unpacking and using new books shelves.
    It would be great if when everyone tries a recipe they can share it as I bet alot of us have the same books! That way we will be spurred on from week to week. I will also try a weekly recipe from now on, that is new to me from my books.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • KDF
    KDF Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone, seems like we will have a good few of us on here.

I had a quick count of cookery books this morning and think I have 86 but need to check that for sure. Some are no longer favourites but I can't bring myself to part with them

Happy cooking
    X
  • Mrs_Veg_Plot
    Options
    penny_less wrote: »
    Hi, I'll join,too! I have loads of recipe books but don't use them as much as I should. I have the Hairy Dieters 3 cookbooks and although I used loads of the recipes from the first books, I have hardly tried any out of the other two. My main goal will be to try at least one new recipe a week from books 2 and 3.

Just editing to say I have just noticed Mrs veg plot's post and it seems our goal is very similar! It will be interesting to compare!

Hi penny_less, I have also used book 1 more than book 2, book 3 is a new purchase which I have not used at all yet. I am going to do their Ham and parsley sauce this week with the last of the Christmas ham from the freezer.
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    Options
    I really need to join this challenge :) I have a LOT of cookbooks but very few actually get used that frequently. OH has suggested that I should cook from at least one at least once a week (he also suggested that I shouldn't buy any more for a while, but I ignored that bit ;)) so I'll try to join in too!
  • KDF
    Options
    Hi Callie22, we have very similar discussions in our kitchen too as the books are in a bookcase next to our kitchen table :)
  • KDF
    Options
    barneydee wrote: »
    Thanks for starting this thread I would like to join in, I have loads of cook books(last time I counted over300) my cooking of late has got very repetitive some thing week out so I will try one new thing a week
    Dee x

Wow Barneydee, that's a lot of books! Which chefs / cooks are your favourites?
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 2 January 2015 at 11:14PM
    Options
    More newbies fab!
    Veg crumble was a hit but a request for less nuts next time so will be a keeper.
    KDF - you can make butter from excess cream and it freezes well if aerated first.
    Stewby - thanks for the tip on printing them out as t'internet is usually first place I go now rather than the 70+ books, also have a 'tear' file for mag clippings have never tried.
    Am going to try a recipe from one of my newer ones which is the Dhal cookbook by Krishna Dutta (for meatless monday in our house) for which only need some tomatoes and everything else is already in. Looking forward to our endeavors.
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • stewby
    stewby Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I actually made this on the 31st so won't be counting it as my recipe for the week. However I thought people might like it as it is a very simple recipe. I highly recommend halving the quantities (I didn't and got about 30 biscuits, roughly 3 - 4cm in diameter).

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5870/emma-s-chocolate-biscuits.aspx

Enjoy.
    :D
    Mortgage: £0/£80,329.91
    Savings: £0/£6400
    :love:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income