Is my new insurance valid?

Options
Just payed for the below insurance for a car which is being delivered tomorrow.

Is the below email confirmation valid cover for me to drive when I get it? or do I need to speak with them and send a copy of my licence? (I am not claiming a no claims discount). The car will arrive NY day so the insurance company are closed then but I was planning on driving it on NY day. Am I legally insured? I guess I have paid from the start date of January 1st so should be but would hate to get pulled over and it be a problem

Cover is arranged - Thank You
Your web reference is xxxxxxxxxx

Dear Mr xxxxxx
Many thanks for arranging your car insurance through our website, please make a note of your Web Reference.
Confirmation Required Please

To ensure you are properly covered and to ensure all information is correct, we will need to speak with you during office hours. In order cover may continue, can you please call our service centre on 0800 0121 014 quoting your web reference. Alternatively we will try and contact you at the earliest opportunity on the contact number provided.
If you are claiming a no claims discount. We will need proof of this, please confirm your last insurer name, address and policy number. We do need a copy of your driving Licence as well please. Please mail to [EMAIL="info@cityinsurance.co.uk"]info@cityinsurance.co.uk[/EMAIL] or fax on 01962 869 587
Once your policy is confirmed we will arrange to send you your documentation by email.
In the event you need to make a claim please refer to our website.
Our Service Centre is available on 0800 0121 014
We would like to take this opportunity to welcome you as a new client. Please remember you can benefit from additional discounts on other insurance products.

Comments

• notanewby
    notanewby Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect you are fully covered.

As for if you definitely are, I wouldn't like to say. The only people who would know are the insurance company.

If it was me... I'd be driving the car on the 1st of Jan.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have they sent you an insurance certificate - physically or electronically?

If so you ae covered unless and until they inform you that the policy is cancelled - which they may do if you don't send a copy of your driving licence in a reasonable period.

If they haven't sent a certificate yet then you're not insured yet.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Once your policy is confirmed we will arrange to send you your documentation by email.
    This suggests you are not insured yet.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I expect you are covered but need to provide proof to confirm what you have stated is correct. With your web id can you log on to their site to see your details.
    With Swiftcover I had to send ncd proof within a set amount of time after the policy had started. I was insured before it was sent.
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As far as the criminal law is concerned, you are not covered unless the insurer has delivered a certificate of insurance to you. (This can be electronically)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/147

Anything else (schedule, receipt, confirmation letter, direct debit confirmation, credit card receipt, etc.) isn't sufficient and won't be accepted either by police at the roadside or at court if you are prosecuted.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills