£70k, please help me spread across banks wisely

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
10 replies 1.6K views
greengibbongreengibbon Forumite
7 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
I've saved approx £70,000 which I intend to put as a deposit on my first property during 2015.

However in the meantime, I was looking for advice on how to maximise interest and benefits on this amount. I would need relatively easy access, as I will withdraw this for a deposit at some stage this year.

Currently I have £30k in a low interest ISA, which can be switched or withdrawn. The additional £40k is in my Santander 123 current account, which I'm aware is not gaining interest over £20k.

Of the current available bank account offers, how should I best spread this £70k to maximise interest?

Many thanks in advance, and best regards.

Replies

• xylophonexylophone Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can get a better rate on the ISA move it.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/cash-isa-transfers

The extra £20,000 in the Santander could be spread between TSB Classic Plus, Club Lloyds, BOS (x3 if you wish) and a Nationwide Flexdirect.

The Lloyds will require 2 DDs.

Check the funding requirements - remember that the Nationwide requires external funding. The three BOS can be internally funded by setting up SOs from each to other for the same day.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    12.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a partner you can have 2 Santander 123 accounts to get 3% gross on up to £40k. I joint and 1 sole one.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    £50.5K max in sole current accounts at 3,4 and 5%. £130K max if 2 people max sole and joint accounts together.

Additional opportunity in Regular Savings accounts at 4 and 6% (and plenty more at lower %age)
  • xylophone wrote: »
    If you can get a better rate on the ISA move it.

Looking at the current ISA offering, I think it makes more sense to pull all this money out of ISAs and put in current accounts. What do you think?

Eg, only 1.5% for easy access ISA, vs up to 5% on a current account. I would lose the tax savings of my historically gained ISAs, but I think this would be outweighed by the extra interest?
  • colsten wrote: »
    £50.5K max in sole current accounts at 3,4 and 5%. £130K max if 2 people max sole and joint accounts together.

Additional opportunity in Regular Savings accounts at 4 and 6% (and plenty more at lower %age)

Hey, thanks for that - what order of accounts would you prioritise for?

I can get my partner to apply for a joint account with me where required.
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what order of accounts would you prioritise for?
    Serious question?...If absolute return is the aim, then start with the 5% ones...then the 4% ones...then the 3% ones.
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can get my partner to apply for a joint account with me where required.
    Why don't you have a joint Santander account already? Sounds like you're just a few months away from a joint mortgage application? Then way, you wouldn't have £20K making zilch in Santander.
  • Serious question?...If absolute return is the aim, then start with the 5% ones...then the 4% ones...then the 3% ones.

Excellent point.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other thing to think about is how to get it back cheaply to your original account to pay the solicitor the deposit when required.
    You cannot do a faster payment from a savings account so in that instance you would need to open a current account as well or pay a CHAPS or bank cheque fee.
  • ZandermanZanderman Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    One other thing to think about is how to get it back cheaply to your original account to pay the solicitor the deposit when required.
    You cannot do a faster payment from a savings account so in that instance you would need to open a current account as well or pay a CHAPS or bank cheque fee.

The accounts which pay 5%, 4% and 3% are current accounts. So if the 70K is re-distributed amongst those there'd be no problem with faster payments. Savings accounts generally have rubbish rates at present so there's little incentive to put cash in those - those are best avoided for that reason alone!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals