Jan 2015 / 14yrs left on mortgage. MFW, time to make a serious dent and be MF

Options
124»

Comments

• PopcootMFW
    Options
    Here's our Jan review....bit late I know
    We have been great at coming well under budget for our shopping and fuel. We have decided to keep it the same level because with baby due soon we may need that extra bit of movement with the budget.

For selling items:
    £195 icandy pushchair
    £25 ikea sofa bed
    £20 pushchair adapters
    £17 Icandy parasol
    £25 ikea bedside tables
    £10 bookcase
    £50 guitar and amp
    £11 selling some old books
    £?? STILL awaiting music magpie, grr

Just need to wait until Monday for DH payday and we'll see how much extra we can OP for Feb. (Have £300 set up as standing order and already calculated into our budgeting spreadsheet on the laptop). It feels exciting, it's like waiting for the magic to happen, waiting to see what amount will be there this month, seeing all our little monthly pots build up. Our pots are:
    -holiday fund
    -birthdays fund
    -christmas fund
    -car,tax,mot, ins fund
    -emergency home fund
    -savings fund

Feb and Mar are expensive months for us birthday wise...my brother, father-in-law, Dad, DH's 40th, Mum, best friend, new baby due and then it's my little girls bday in April !!!
    MFW 2015 #49. Target: £4,000 - Overpaid: £2,900
    Mortgage Dec 2014 [STRIKE]£126,521[/STRIKE], May £120,102
  • PopcootMFW
    PopcootMFW Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Another OP made, bit late, it's technically for February really but only had to time to sort out transferring it today. Another £1,000 in total made.

Got DH to phone Halifax up and clarify that all OPs made will go towards reducing our term and not our monthly payments. Apparently, halifax now have a different process set up....when we come to "remortgage / change products" it's at that point we request the term of our mortgage is shortened.

Anyone else with halifax or heard of this??? Not sure if it's something to be concerned about? Our product is due to end July 2016 time.
  • Cream_Tea
    Cream_Tea Posts: 427 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    I've not heard of that. We're with lloyds and I haven't noticed my payments reducing so I guess it is coming off the term. I will have to check now.

Can't be long until bubba makes an appearance!? How many days?

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49
    Debt £24,990 / Debt Free Est. May'21

Updated 06/05/18
  • velocity_girl
    Options
    PopcootMFW wrote: »
    Another OP made, bit late, it's technically for February really but only had to time to sort out transferring it today. Another £1,000 in total made.

Got DH to phone Halifax up and clarify that all OPs made will go towards reducing our term and not our monthly payments. Apparently, halifax now have a different process set up....when we come to "remortgage / change products" it's at that point we request the term of our mortgage is shortened.

Anyone else with halifax or heard of this??? Not sure if it's something to be concerned about? Our product is due to end July 2016 time.

Popcoot, I'm with Nationwide and they do the same. Not an expert but I don't think it's an issue - I just make the same regular OP every month ('normal' payment £535-ish, we pay £700 by DD every month)... When we come to the end of the deal, they'll recalculate things and we can decide which to do.
    2018 wins: Aspinal of London jewellery box, Boudavida gym outfit, HP Pavilion laptop, The List party tickets, All Points East festival tickets, Kiehls moisturiser, By Terry cc serum, Nars Liquid Bronzer, Benefit highlighter, Nars illuminator, Fresh advanced lip trio set, Cetaphil sample set, signed copy of My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent
  • PopcootMFW
    Options
    Cream_Tea wrote: »
    I've not heard of that. We're with lloyds and I haven't noticed my payments reducing so I guess it is coming off the term. I will have to check now.

Can't be long until bubba makes an appearance!? How many days?

CT

Thank you CT :)
    Oh yes little baby bean.... I'm 38wks but having a difficult pregnancy so im booked in for induction tomorrow...bubba will be making an appearance very soon ((she says! Fingers crossed)) :):):)
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    How exciting! Good luck for tomorrow. Keep us updated!

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49

Updated 06/05/18
  • PopcootMFW
    Options
    Wowzers...it's been a while...new addition to the family has been keeping me very busy DS arrived 6 March safe and well.

Haven't really been able to OP as much as we would like. I've been spending money on lots of blue outfits. Have managed £300 OP each month for March, April and May. I'm hoping once I get a bit more time I can sort out all DD clothes I've saved and get them on eBay and gumtree and sell lots of bundles of clothes.
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Congratulations! That's brilliant you are OPing. Good luck with the bundle selling. Xx

Updated 06/05/18
  • Tartan_Mum
    Tartan_Mum Posts: 217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just been reading through your diary and want to add my congratulations!

I currently have over 12 years left but am hoping to reduce this to 10 (or possibly less) but when I see what you've achieved with your figures it's encouraging me to review again. I think we could OP with a bit more effort and less daft spending.

Enjoy these lovely days with your DS, especially now the sunshine might be arriving x
    #26 MFW 2023 challenge Small OPs are better than no OPs! Feb 2018 £231,000 / Apr 2042 Current £133,700 / March 2036
  • PopcootMFW
    Options
    Tartan_Mum wrote: »
    I currently have over 12 years left but am hoping to reduce this to 10 (or possibly less) but when I see what you've achieved with your figures it's encouraging me to review again.

I never thought we could OP as much as we did some months but it's amazing when you do count the pennies a lot closer you can make them stretch more. I definitely found budgeting helped a lot. xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family