Is it too late to set up a DD this year to a 1-2-3 a/c?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
9 replies 1.6K views
Kernel_SandersKernel_Sanders Forumite
3.6K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
I opened a Santander 1-2-3 current account a few days ago. The £500 minimum funding came from a transfer from another Santander account, but I've just realized that I don't have a second direct debit set up to go out this month. How can I set one up with less than 3 banking days left, and is there anything else I need to get the 3% p.a. (I have over £1000 in it).

Replies

• edited 29 December 2014 at 2:52PM
    grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 December 2014 at 2:52PM
    I opened a Santander 1-2-3 current account a few days ago. The £500 minimum funding came from a transfer from another Santander account,
    I hope it wasn't in your name or joint:
    1|2|3 Current Account Key Facts Document
    The £500 minimum monthly payment does not include refunded amounts from your Visa Debit card or amounts transferred into the account from another Santander account in your name (including any joint accounts).
    but I've just realized that I don't have a second direct debit set up to go out this month. How can I set one up with less than 3 banking days left, and is there anything else I need to get the 3% p.a. (I have over £1000 in it).
    Firstly, the DD has to be active, but doesn't have to 'go out' each month.
    Secondly, if you don't qualify for 3% this month (it's just ~£2.50 for £1000 and full 30 days), this doesn't stop you from qualifying the next months.
    And, finally, IIRC, it's a statement month at Santander, not a calendar month. A statement month starts when the account was opened.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • Archi_BaldArchi_Bald Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your Santander account month is not a calendar month but starts on the date you opened/transferred your account, and then repeats on the monthiversary. So you should have plenty of time setting up another DD.

Check for all the details, incl the interest rate you get, what DDs you need and where the minimum monthly payment must come from in their Key Facts Document. (link downloads their PDF)
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    24.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I opened a Santander 1-2-3 current account a few days ago. The £500 minimum funding came from a transfer from another Santander account, but I've just realized that I don't have a second direct debit set up to go out this month. How can I set one up with less than 3 banking days left, and is there anything else I need to get the 3% p.a. (I have over £1000 in it).
    To get 3% you need over £3000. £1K gets you 1% and £2K 2%.
  • edited 9 January 2015 at 6:19PM
    Kernel_SandersKernel_Sanders Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 January 2015 at 6:19PM
    grumbler wrote: »
    I hope it wasn't in your name or joint:
    It was, and I haven't switched my main income source to this a/c in time. Can I get round this by simply writing a cheque from my old RBS current a/c, then in a couple of days transferring the same amount back to RBS to cover it?
    grumbler wrote: »
    Firstly, the DD has to be active, but doesn't have to 'go out' each month.
    Are you certain? The reason I ask is I applied electronically to MDC to have my Council Tax switched to DD on 30 December, expecting it to go out on 1st or 2nd of Jan, but they've written and rescheduled the whole balance to start on 1 Feb. It's showing as scheduled on my online dashboard thingy, though.
  • dr_adidas01dr_adidas01 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think your internal transfer from another santander account will count to the £500 min funding.

As the T&C's quite clearly state (excludes internal transfers)

http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/123-current-account
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you certain? .
    Yes, I am.
    And the T&C are very clear: "Have at least two active Direct Debits".
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • NotRichAtAllNotRichAtAll Forumite
    885 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    did you miss this part

• Kernel_SandersKernel_Sanders Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think your internal transfer from another santander account will count to the £500 min funding.
    molerat wrote: »
    As long as the other Santander account is not in your name, either single or joint, then it is OK.
    did you miss this part
    This is odd, all these points were made on 29 December. Did you miss this part? Can I get round this by simply writing a cheque from my old RBS current a/c, then in a couple of days transferring the same amount back to RBS to cover it?
  • CLAPTONCLAPTON Forumite
    41.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is odd, all these points were made on 29 December. Did you miss this part? Can I get round this by simply writing a cheque from my old RBS current a/c, then in a couple of days transferring the same amount back to RBS to cover it?

yes, you can transfer 500 from another bank and then transfer it back again
    one would suggest electronic transfer rather than a cheque
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs