Collectors - £100 coin for £100 free postage

Options
marvin
marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 29 December 2014 at 10:28PM in Savings & investments
One for the collectors here basically swapping £100 for £100

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Big_Ben_2015_UK_100_pound_Fine_Silver_Coin

Won't lose value as it is legal tender of £100 but may, over the long term, gain value.

The silver value currently 63g @ c$0.50 silver at a low currently over 5 years but then you are not buying them for silver content.

Originally placed in the buy in now section due to limit of 50,000 but was moved by a moderator to this section.
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.

Comments

• LFC2006
    Options
    Thanks for the post just ordered a couple this will sell out very quickly. A definite investment added to my collection
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    50,000 minted - these will never be a good investment. Far too many to make it worth buying, with a silver content worth around £20.

History shows that mass-minted coins like this will never make money for anyone - except the government selling them.

It's just another money-making scheme for George Osborne to cover over his economic failures, and your £100 would be far better invested somewhere where it has a better chance of keeping up with inflation. These coins may make a nice gift, but that's about it.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    ...scheme for George Osborne to cover over his economic failures...

or for him to keep chipping away at the damage done by the economic failures of his predecessor;)

it's a nice coin. and a single £100 lump is quite neat. i have 5 of the first £20 coins. and again, as 'the first' it has a certain appeal. but i suspect Doc N is probably right...making an investment return is unlikely.
  • tigerspill
    Options
    marvin wrote: »
    One for the investors here basically swapping £100 for £100

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Big_Ben_2015_UK_100_pound_Fine_Silver_Coin

Won't lose value as it is legal tender of £100 but may, over the long term, gain value.

The silver value currently 63g @ c$0.50 silver at a low currently over 5 years but then you are not buying them for silver content.

Put it in this section as it is limited to 50,000

Does it not lose value through inflationary erosion?

Surely these are really just talking pieces and wont really grow in value at all.

Lets say you sell after 10 years. The inflationary cost is say £15 and postage of £5 (to post it securely to the buyer). Is the value going to grow by 20% - I can't imagine that it will given the huge number being produced.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    perhaps they'll be worth more in 30 or 40 years? you could do with very few other £100 issues, and then a lot of these being cashed in, reducing the number of mint ones
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    planteria wrote: »
    or for him to keep chipping away at the damage done by the economic failures of his predecessor.
    Wow!
    "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."
    Joseph Goebbels
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 December 2014 at 5:41PM
    Options
    The moment that I saw this offer I knew that my best plan of action would be to straight away, without losing any time whatsoever, immediately do nothing.

Although I did think that it would make a nice novelty birthday gift for my goddaughter, but it is a bit more than I usually spend, so plan a resumed.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • alexanderalexander
    Options
    Along with others, I can't imagine these will ever bear more than a fairly trivial premium to the £100 face value. Why would they? A 50,000 distribution is more than enough to satisfy all the collectors who are into this sort of thing.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    It's just another money-making scheme for George Osborne to cover over his economic failures,

50,000 x £100 minus costs - which since the Government is involved will be extraordinary.
    I think its more likely to be another money losing scheme to increase Osborne's economic failures.
    But, either way, its still a drop in the ocean compared to his increasing the National debt by more in 4 years than in the 300 years before him.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    TBF I never put it in the investments and savings section as it is only an investment if you know of a current market for it and what I meant was collectors not investors (long night) I will correct my post.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure