PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2015

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I've debuttoned (for salvage) a worn out and much-mended shirt of my brother's - the fabric has finally given way. And sewn the buttons on a bit of thin card. If they're not something I want. I save them up like this until I have a sandwich-bagful then give them to the c.s. Shirt will go for ragging via the c.s.

Have also found a stray shirt button from the stash to replace a missing one on another shirt, think the other one must have snapped off as is completely gone but the thread is still there.

I so agree about the threads. If I have to buy new, I use Gutermann, which is OK but, by golly, when you compare modern threads with the old Sylko etc on the wooden reels, it's like comparing a Rolls Royce and a pushbike, the modern stuff is p-poor by comparison.

And don't even get me started on what passes for bedlinen these days..! I always save notions and trimmings, the amount of times they have come in handy is astonishing and they don't take up much room. Plus I find that these little jobs are more likely to get done if you have the stuff to hand as opposed to having to remember to go into a shop when you're next out and about.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • vhalla1478
    Options
    Thanks Rose, I'll store that information for the future, but my microwave went up in flames a few weeks ago and it's in the 'wants'
    list behind a slow cooker at the moment!

Viv x
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    I agree about 2nd hand being better quality vhalla, I've had a 2nd hand fish slice that I paid 25p for over 10 years, it has outlasted 6 or 7 new ones.
    Today I repaired the knees on DGD's leggings, she fell over & went straight through them, they are now wearable again and at least suitable for her to play in.
    Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Wannabgood
    Options
    Not sure if someone else has mentioned it but when your things are too well used for the charity shop still donate them as most can sell them on to a rag man, so they are still of value even if not sold in the shop.
  • vhalla1478
    Options
    I agree with you about the old wooden reel Sylko threads, GreyQueen, and as children, we always used to use the empty wooden bobbins to make little display shelves.

The kedgeree recipe as promised - I did get all the ingredients out to make the lemon curd but scuttled back into the warmth of the living room - it will keep until tomorrow.

Kedgeree - 4 servings

Half a pound smoked haddock, three quarters pound rice, 3 hard-boiled eggs, 3 onions, salt, pepper, butter.

Put the fish in a baking tin with a little water or milk and water, cover with a piece of buttered paper (the wrapping off the butter - I always save mine) and bake in a moderate oven (180 degrees/gas4) for 20 minutes or until the fish comes off the skin easily. Drain, remove any skin and bone then flake the fish. Boil rice for 12 minutes in plenty of salted water, drain and return to pan. Cover pan and leave rice to dry off for a few minutes. Slice onions, chop roughly and fry in butter over moderate heat until they are soft and golden brown. Stir 2-3 ounces butter into the rice, add onions, sliced hard-boiled eggs and fish. stir it all together lightly and serve. I often add curry powder, raisins and cream - a very filling dish.

I'm going to have a lazy evening in front of the fire and sit out the rest of Friday 13th!

Viv xx
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Wannabgood wrote: »
    Not sure if someone else has mentioned it but when your things are too well used for the charity shop still donate them as most can sell them on to a rag man, so they are still of value even if not sold in the shop.
    :) Yes, I always have a bag of worn out or damaged textiles on the go. My chazzer can sell them to the rag merchant, so I put them in a bag labelled RAG ONLY inside the main donation bag, so that the volunteers don't have to waste time.

Have just stripped out lace and ribbon from a nightie which has been condemned for ragging. The trimmings are now wound around card inside a small ziploc bag, to go also to the c.s. to see if any crafter would give some pennies for them. I figure if I prep them nicely, they can just price them in seconds and flip them out onto the shop floor.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • vhalla1478
    Options
    Forgot about the bed linen; if you're in the market for new bed linen, consider buying old French linen sheets. Real linen improves with age, and, as I think I said before, duvet covers are easy to make as they are basically bags. If you don't like the natural colour they can be easily dyed and/or trimmed with lace/embroidery etc.

Viv x
  • good_advice
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Yes, I always have a bag of worn out or damaged textiles on the go. My chazzer can sell them to the rag merchant, so I put them in a bag labelled RAG ONLY inside the main donation bag, so that the volunteers don't have to waste time.

Have just stripped out lace and ribbon from a nightie which has been condemned for ragging. The trimmings are now wound around card inside a small ziploc bag, to go also to the c.s. to see if any crafter would give some pennies for them. I figure if I prep them nicely, they can just price them in seconds and flip them out onto the shop floor.
    Gray Queen - what prompted me from seeing what sewing bits I could salvage from my old clothes was last year when I enquired the price of a second had zip in a CH. I was told £1 each.

I have always taken buttons off old clothes for reuse on my hand knitted cardigans.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    Silva, that was quick! Well done you. :T

Feeling bluh still so just posting my spends today and will catch up on the recipes tomorrow. I won't forget to post them on page one, including the microwave lemon curd which will be really useful. ;)

day 12/13

Money Spent Today - £5.22 Vouchers Spent - £0
    Money Spent in Total - £37.42 Vouchers Spent in Total - £0
    Money left in purse - £1.58 - Float left- £2.73/£15
    Jan non-foods left- £1.85/£15

Grocery spends today came to £5.22 which was for 2ltr milk @ 88p, Morrisons 'Ritz' @ 75p, pk Chinese Rice @ 50p, Peanut butter @ 62p, Baked beans @ 24p, pk 4 Savers yogurts @ 33p, YS seeded batch @ 55p, Mcvites bacon cheddars @ 54p (offer) and 500g cooking bacon pieces @ 81p.
    From the extras budget we bought 2x Rum Truffles @ £1 the pair.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I am thinking of consigning an old fave cardi to the bin (not suitable for even rags) but the buttons are gorgeous - I priced one comparable in size/shape/colour in the haberdashers and it was over £2! and I have 5 on the cardi! so they are going to join the others in my button tin.

edited to say - how come some buttons are so expensive? the original cardigan was only about £5!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure