Do I take new job or stay where I am?

Options
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice please?

I've been working for a charity for the last 8 months. I LOVE the job it's really interesting and my job is really varied. My problem is that ethically I have real concerns about the job.

My boss is in charge of the organisation. He's a great guy but some of the decisions he makes I think are really 'dodgy'. e.g. He signs off expenses for people for certain 'works' and I've since found out the people haven't actually done the work and there was no intention for the work to be done. He just wants to 'reward' them for the extra stuff they do but the company doesn't pay overtime.

He puts through expenses for himself for lunch etc when I know that he's not had business meetings but has taken his friends out. There are a lot of other things but I can't mention them on here. My problem is that I have to log all the expenses and pay them through the bank so I feel complicit in this.

My friends told me to ignore the 'dodgy' goings on - that it's not down to me in the end and that it's his responsibility if he's signing off things. I just feel that as I'm aware about these things I am just as responsible for allowing this to happen.

I applied for a job at the local council and have been successful. My problem is that it's about £2K a year less, it's not going to be anywhere near as interesting and it's a bit further away (only about 15 minutes). On the plus side there is a good pension scheme!

This job would be a lot less stress and there would be a lot more structure and I'm supposing that eventually I could work my way up.

I have to go into work tomorrow and give my notice if I'm going to take this job and I know he won't be happy. The turnover where I work is unbelievable (at least 50% turnover during the past 6 months) but the thing is, I'm not sure if I want to leave - I feel like I'm bailing out too soon, but I have this bad feeling in my gut about some of the things that go on there.

Would appreciate people's thoughts on the above:)

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Judgejudy wrote: »
    I applied for a job at the local council and have been successful. My problem is that it's about £2K a year less, it's not going to be anywhere near as interesting and it's a bit further away (only about 15 minutes). On the plus side there is a good pension scheme!

Well from a financial point of view, long term a "good" pension scheme is probably worth far more than a taxable £2K per year now.
  • khiller1988
    Options
    In my opinion, if you are noticing things aren't right, there would only be so long I could ignore it and may get to the point where you resent this. It may be an idea to bring some of this up at an exit interview and see what they say? this may be difficult depending on your boss's approach ability.
    I would put it as you love the job and company and would love to be involved and see it succeed but certain elements concerning me re expenses make you uncomfortable.

Judgejudy wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice please?

I've been working for a charity for the last 8 months. I LOVE the job it's really interesting and my job is really varied. My problem is that ethically I have real concerns about the job.

My boss is in charge of the organisation. He's a great guy but some of the decisions he makes I think are really 'dodgy'. e.g. He signs off expenses for people for certain 'works' and I've since found out the people haven't actually done the work and there was no intention for the work to be done. He just wants to 'reward' them for the extra stuff they do but the company doesn't pay overtime.

He puts through expenses for himself for lunch etc when I know that he's not had business meetings but has taken his friends out. There are a lot of other things but I can't mention them on here. My problem is that I have to log all the expenses and pay them through the bank so I feel complicit in this.

My friends told me to ignore the 'dodgy' goings on - that it's not down to me in the end and that it's his responsibility if he's signing off things. I just feel that as I'm aware about these things I am just as responsible for allowing this to happen.

This job would be a lot less stress and there would be a lot more structure and I'm supposing that eventually I could work my way up.

I have to go into work tomorrow and give my notice if I'm going to take this job and I know he won't be happy. The turnover where I work is unbelievable (at least 50% turnover during the past 6 months) but the thing is, I'm not sure if I want to leave - I feel like I'm bailing out too soon, but I have this bad feeling in my gut about some of the things that go on there.

Would appreciate people's thoughts on the above:)
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    Are they big enough to be registered with the Charity Commission? What are the trustees doing to ensure that the charity is well-run? Surely auditors will want to see receipts and invoices to set against the expenses.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Judgejudy
    Options
    Are they big enough to be registered with the Charity Commission? What are the trustees doing to ensure that the charity is well-run? Surely auditors will want to see receipts and invoices to set against the expenses.

Yes they are and they've been going for around 10 years. I don't know if I'm worrying over nothing I'm not close to the trustees so don't know if they're aware of what's going on.
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    I wonder how long this will be sustainable for. I would get out for that reason alone.

Rudyard Kipling

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whatever the intention behind the expenses scam, it is still a scam and you are complicit in it. Get out or blow the whistle to the trustees.
  • Judgejudy
    Options
    I was wondering if I was over-reacting and worrying about nothing. Seeing some of the posts makes me think that my gut reaction is correct.
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    Is the boss one of the founders? Sometimes people start charities just to give themselves an income, which is one of the worst possible reasons. They treat the donated money as their personal bank account.

I am not sure what would happen if this came out, but if people discovered that you knew what was going on and said nothing...

Rudyard Kipling

• PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    "McGonigle, 50, the former director of the New Pyjamas Campaign set up to raise 
£15 million for a new Sick Kids hospital, is alleged to have defrauded the charity out of £1855 with a series of false expenses.

One of the claims was £70.40 for a meeting with Mr McColl and Jack McConnell – a meal date which the former First Minister previously denied ever took place.

Mr McColl, chief executive of Clyde Blowers Capital, said he donated money to a number of charities but could “not recall” ever giving money to the children’s hospital campaign.

When asked by fiscal depute Pauline Shade if he had ever had dinner with the defendant, he said: “I do not recall ever having dinner with Elaine McGonigle.”

He said he had flown out on April 3 and returned to Scotland on April 7, 2009. He said had also been on a trip to the United States around the same time."

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/sick-kids-fraud-claims-charity-boss-meeting-denied-1-3551070

Rudyard Kipling

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Not being rude but why did you apply for the job in the first place?

Usually that answer answers the question you were asking
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport