Suggested Online Payment Provider

Hi , I was wondering for a website thats just starting up, what would be the most cost efficient payment provider...protx? google checkout, paypal?

Preferabaly I don't want to set up a seperate bank account just yet...

Any suggestions are welcome!

Comments

• windswept
    windswept Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    For any payment gateway you would need a business bank account.
    For the easiest option - probably worldpay (£200 set up) - you can have an internet merchant account and payment gateway all in one - far more professional than paypal, and when you do eventually get a separate IMA, you will get far lower processing fees from worldpay.

I went for Secpay - however you do need both a business account and a separate IMA.

To be able to use google checkout - you have to have an ssl certificate for your site.
    Paypal is problematic for customers even if you shell out for paypal pro.
    "There is a light that never goes out"
  • I'd disagree with that - we use Paypal so far to good effect - good for those with cards and good for those without. Comparitively, with Paypal you have a lighter integration and no set up fee. With Worldpay you're looking at a few hundred quid before you've made a penny, potentially quite nasty integration and you need a merchant account on top of that. My experience in trying to set up a merchant no with HSBC was impressively poor. They couldn't have been less organised if they tried.

We do get one or two who can't use Paypal, but I suspect they wouldn't be able to use any other online payment and their real issue is they don't feel comfortable making payments online.
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,789 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    paypal will = to loss of sales!, Last business I run startup used paypal and lost over £3000 as customer sees paypal and exits. I use barclays merchant account and protx.
    Kind Regards
    Bill
  • how much are the fees for a merchant bank account?
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,789 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I managed to get free setup (saved £250) 1.7% credit cards and 13p debit cards for my merchant account, this is a very good rate, so dont expect to get these rates. I already have bank accounts with barclays business. Protx costs £20 per month.
    Kind Regards
    Bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family