renting from a private landlord.....

13»

Replies

• AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC. many thanks for that link. no report exists for my address.
    Whilst the law requires an EPC to exist to rent a property out, it doesn't require a minimum score, nor does it require the landlord to do anything about a poor score, nor does it require the EPC to actually be useful in any way, shape or form. Which is just as well, really, because they are an utter waste of time and money.

So the lack of an EPC isn't something that I'd be getting excited about at all.

One question - you moved in in 2012, but you say your fixed tenancy doesn't expire until August. I presume you've renewed it (twice, 2013 and this year? 12mo a time?). You don't need to. You can let it just roll onto a statutory periodic tenancy. If you'd done that, you could be moved with a month's notice. The downside, of course, is that you could be given two month's notice by your landlord, rather than him having to also wait for the periodic tenancy to expire.
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Errrr... Cold falls, heat rises: So if the loft is cold then that cold will come down... (& if you go up into the loft the heat from below will rise..)
    Technically speaking, no, it is just that heat rises. Practically, of course, when it does so, it leaves cold behind in its absence... A draught is, of course, a different matter.
  • theartfullodger. thanks for all that. i have tried to get to buy the deeds, buts telling me that it cant find anything relating to my address. and the other option, i really dont fancy an S21 right now.

landlord just hasnt got any dosh, although insulation would be at no cost to him, and he just doesnt want the flat. he wants rid of it, he has been trying to sell it for a few years now. i think he just wants too much for it and its in not very good order. it wont ever sell like it is. however, ive tried everything that everyone has suggested, so will have to live with him doing whatever he wants.

quick enough to take the rent though!!!!!
  • AdrianC. my lease is 12 monthly. and was renewed to begin another year from the first september 2014. i may not like it here very much, but its convenient. especially when i am looking after grandkids and getting the bus to school!!! and if there is an increase at some point in the near future (not that it is worth it) i will have to live with that. there was no increase when the lease was renewed.
  • AdrianC wrote: »
    Technically speaking, no, it is just that heat rises. Practically, of course, when it does so, it leaves cold behind in its absence... A draught is, of course, a different matter.

When air cools it contracts. When air contracts it becomes more dense. More dense air sinks below the less dense, warmer air below. So yes, cold air sinks just as warmer air rises.
  • theartfullodgertheartfullodger Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    theartfullodger. thanks for all that. i have tried to get to buy the deeds, buts telling me that it cant find anything relating to my address. .. ....

Probably means he's owned it from before land registry became mandatory ...
  • edited 19 December 2014 at 6:39PM
    Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 December 2014 at 6:39PM
    the main issue here, is that yes, i would love to use the loft for storage and if/when he empties it, can he charge me more for it.....the REAL issue is that i want to get some insulation there. the cold that comes down from that loft, is unbelievable
    and he is saying there is adequate insulation up there, (which i doubt) and refusing to let me do it. i qualify for it to be done free, at no cost to him. but never mind. put another duvet on.

thanks everyone for all you advice.
    Loft insulation stops heat escaping. If you can feel cold draughts these can be blocked from below the loft.

The deeds will specify what the owner owns. Not what a tenant is entitled to use. If the loft is not included in what is offered to rent then you are not entitled to use it.
    Something that should be included in the rental agreement is the landlords access rights to the loft allthough as no access has been requested this isn't really a problem.
    I'm not a cat.
  • edited 16 June 2015 at 9:15PM
    MisskoMissko Forumite
    253 Posts
    edited 16 June 2015 at 9:15PM
    Error.
    Error.
    Credit Card £4350 @ 0% until October 2015
  • Guest101Guest101
    15.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Missko wrote: »
    Artful - please stop quoting opinion-based articles as if they are actual law.

This stuff about a tenant temporarily "owning" a property is becoming boring.

If I lend someone a book, it does not temporarily belong to them. It still belongs to me (hence they could not sell it).

If you find some sort of law that says otherwise I'd love to hear it.

Cheers!

The tenant owns the right to live there without interference from the LL and has exclusive use of the property.

It's very similar to owning a leasehold property. The freeholder still owns the building, you just lease it for certain amount of time.

If you don't like it? Tough, that's the law
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides