Aldi's Medion Lifetab 10.1"?

Options
Opinions please, on Aldi's Medion Lifetab 10.1".

http://aldi.medion.com/md98992/uk/#

One thing I've noticed is, it doesn't have 3G.

Would I be right in thinking, I could get online (where there's no available Wifi) with a Mi-Fi Dongle?

Comments

• chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't comment on the tablet, but yes you would be able to get online with a mifi dongle. The tablet will see it as any other wifi source.
  • tavernman
    Options
    Or you possibly use a wifi hotspot from a mobile phone, depending on the phone and your contract , I use my HTC for my tablet.
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought one on they day they came in my local Aldi store. So far so good, but it's not fair to say that it doesn't work off 3G. What tablets do? Not many. One thing that is useful is that it has a mini usb to USB cable which is great for reading flash drives. Also, I had loads of updates yesterday, so it will always have the latest specs. I would have liked to have seen a slip or small bag to carry it around in, ottherwise it's good and the 3y year warranty is great.
  • tavernman wrote: »
    Or you possibly use a wifi hotspot from a mobile phone, depending on the phone and your contract , I use my HTC for my tablet.

Unfortunately, my Mobile is a Samsung GT-E1190, so using it as a wifi hotspot is out of the question.
    chrisw wrote: »
    The tablet will see it as any other wifi source.

So the different standards (b/g/n etc.) don't matter?
    hansi wrote: »
    So far so good, but it's not fair to say that it doesn't work off 3G. What tablets do?

This one does.

http://www.ryman.co.uk/prestigo-10-1-android-tablet-16gb-ultra-portable-1
    One thing tha is useful is that it has a mini usb to USB cable which is great for reading flash drives.

Any chance I could connect a Dongle to that?
    I would have liked to have seen a slip or small bag to carry it around in

Try £land/world, or the 99p Stores.

Failing that, try Asda's or Tesco's computer accessories section.

I got the padded case for my 10.1" laptop from Asda.

IIRC, it was less than a tenner.

OK, so it says Polaroid on the case (and, shock horror :eek: I own an Akoya) but, for the price, I can live with it. :)
  • hansi
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Unfortunately, my Mobile is a Samsung GT-E1190, so using it as a wifi hotspot is out of the question.

So the different standards (b/g/n etc.) don't matter?

This one does.

http://www.ryman.co.uk/prestigo-10-1-android-tablet-16gb-ultra-portable-1

Try £land/world, or the 99p Stores.

Failing that, try Asda's or Tesco's computer accessories section.

I got the padded case for my 10.1" laptop from Asda.

IIRC, it was less than a tenner.

OK, so it says Polaroid on the case (and, shock horror :eek: I own an Akoya) but, for the price, I can live with it. :)

Don't see why not
  • bob_a_builder
    Options
    Most ( All ?) Mi-Fi devices connect to the tablet via wi-fi - so no physical connection reqd to tablet ( usb or otherwise )
    so would work with all tablets
  • Actually, what I meant was, could I connect a standard USB dongle, to the mini usb to USB cable?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    3G isn't really needed on a tablet as most people carry smart phones that can tether a WiFi connection.
    It's really an Apple thing, for people who have too much money (or lots of credit cards) and aren't really clever enough to set up tethering.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • hansi
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Actually, what I meant was, could I connect a standard USB dongle, to the mini usb to USB cable?

I knew what you meant. Don't see why it shouldn't work.
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    My Android tablet works on 3G very well. I don't know how it does it, but as soon as I connect the dongle it finds the network. It does this in preference to any WiFi network that might be around.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport