Mbna

Options
Taadaa
Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
I used to have an mbna card for a balance transfer. I transferred it some time ago, called them and asked them to close it, operator confirmed on the line that she had, so I destroyed the card.

The following month, I got a statement from them. I wrote a letter saying I hve closed acc bla bla very unhappy please CLOSE and do NOT darken my letterbox again'. Seemed to do the trick.

THEN I got a statement through last month; they had put through a card protection policy that I took through them last year. I had already renewed it (using a different payment method, so effectively had 2 card protection policies), so I called them, chucked a mental, and they put me through to cancel the policy and get a refund. They said that they keep the account open for this reason. I don't want the sodding card open.

So this month I get another statement showing the reverse payment as above.

Any ideas as to how I can get the message across? I have never experienced this with any of the other cards I have had (and believe me, I've had quite a few :rotfl: ) - can I complain to someone? Advice gratefully received!
I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)

Comments

• rebel_2
    rebel_2 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MBNA, They generate new account numbers when they like how they like.
    They started a new account, yet told me that all my accounts had been closed because I hadn't used the account in the last twelve months. They bounced two cheques. They have no checks or balances in place, staff do what they like when they like to generate commission for themselves.
  • ad44downey
    ad44downey Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    Options
    Taadaa wrote: »
    I used to have an mbna card for a balance transfer. I transferred it some time ago, called them and asked them to close it, operator confirmed on the line that she had, so I destroyed the card.

The following month, I got a statement from them. I wrote a letter saying I hve closed acc bla bla very unhappy please CLOSE and do NOT darken my letterbox again'. Seemed to do the trick.

THEN I got a statement through last month; they had put through a card protection policy that I took through them last year. I had already renewed it (using a different payment method, so effectively had 2 card protection policies), so I called them, chucked a mental, and they put me through to cancel the policy and get a refund. They said that they keep the account open for this reason. I don't want the sodding card open.

So this month I get another statement showing the reverse payment as above.

Any ideas as to how I can get the message across? I have never experienced this with any of the other cards I have had (and believe me, I've had quite a few :rotfl: ) - can I complain to someone? Advice gratefully received!
    That's you for life mate. MBNA is like the Foreign Legion, there is no escape.
    Krusty & Phil Madoff, 1990 - 2007:
    "Buy now because house prices only ever go UP, UP, UP."
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options
    Doh.

I had better make sure nothing else will go on it then.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
  • poppyolivia
    poppyolivia Posts: 2,976 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I moved house and they STILL sent blank visa cheques and cards etc to the old house and now the dude has used them to buy !!!!!! and I'm in the middle of a fraud case:eek: ......did a hand written test and they are positive its him that did it..plus all the evidence that they were sent to old address......police can't find him cause he sold the house and moved on...most probably with the stash he bought!!!:rotfl:

But on a positive note they have now CLOSED my account .....7 years after I opened it and NEVER used it!!!!:j
    You may walk and you may run
    You leave your footprints all around the sun
    And every time the storm and the soul wars come
    You just keep on walking
  • tom188
    tom188 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    Because retailers have six years to post transactions on the card, your card will not be truly closed until six years after the expiry date of your card. Also continuous purchase authority transactions like the one you describe will continue even if you cancel the card, as they have been preauthorised by the card holder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure