We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

ligt/sun tubes

Has anyone had a sun/light tube installed? We live in a bungalow and want to divide one large room into 2 smaller ones, but as there are no windows at one end, we need to get light in somehow - I'm not keen on the traditional velux type roof lights.
There's quite a lot of information on the web from manufacturers sayng how great they are, but not much else.
I did see a snatch of a Tommy Walsh programme in which it looked like he installed 4 or 5 light tubes in a double garage which already had windows at each end - that seemed quite a lot to me!
So, I would really like to know your experiences if you've had one installed.

Comments

  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    I've installed 2 for my neighbours - they're really pleased with them but I was underwhelmed to be honest.


    You'll get far more light by fitting Velux (type) windows IMHO.


    HTH


    Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • Thank you, I gather that they may be pretty good in a windowless white tiled very small bathroom, but less so in a normal room. Anna
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have 2.
    I would say that as a general rule, "velux" windows are better for rooms and "sun tubes" for things like landings, porches, corridors etc. where a bit of extra light is useful.
    However, as they generally work out cheaper, I'd be tempted if it was a spare room / box room, but check carefully as individual circumstances make a difference to cost.
  • SMSF, Thank you for your thoughts. What room(s) have you got them in? Russ, what sort of room did you install the tubes in?
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    they were installed into dark areas of a kitchen in a bungalow.

    HTH
    Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    We do them in internal bathrooms, better with rigid duct rather than the flexi hose. Don't expect full daylight but if fitted right can give a few thousand lumens
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Thank you all for your help, I'm going to have to think again it seems. Karen
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    sisteranna wrote: »
    Thank you all for your help, I'm going to have to think again it seems. Karen

    If you are re-thinking I will add a couple of points to ponder over. I have been under whelmed by sun tubes, and suggest that Tommy Walsh knew his stuff by installing the number that he did.

    But equally I am underwhelmed by some Velux. If a Velux is installed in a standard, modern truss rafter roof the effective width of the glass is quite insignificant. Then if a light shaft has to be formed to get this light down to a usable level this becomes worse.

    Basically, truss rafters are at 600mm centres, and the Velux glass is approx 425mm, which is a narrow window.
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    +1 with Furts - but even a 'narrow' velux type is a mile better than a single sun tube.


    It's not a massive job to remove a section of a common rafter if needs be, but must be done correctly and with some thought and reinforcement.


    HTH


    Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • We have a light tube fitted in our kitchen in a bungalow. It produces a good amount of light, but the roof top lens needs to be positioned where it will get a good amount of light.


    I cannot understand how people are suggesting velux windows....it is not always possible to fit a velux window in most situations without altering the ceiling, whereas a sun tube will fit into a normal ceiling.


    If you are going to fit one, fit a good one. Fit one with a solid reflector tube. Ours produces so much light that at times in the early evening, I even go to turn off the kitchen down lights, and realise they are not on!


    We are moving in a few months, and I have included a sun tube for the hallway in the builders tender.
    20 plus years as a mortgage adviser for Halifax (have now retired), and I have pretty much seen it all....:D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.