Solar panels

in Energy
26 replies 2.3K views
We have just had solar panels fitted. When the salesman was round he told us that from the grid we would get more than what we needed to pay to cover the repayment costs. I now have the figures in writing and we only get half of what the repayment costs are. Where do we stand? We only took them thinking the repayment costs would be covered by what we would receive from the grid as we couldn't afford them otherwise.

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have evidence of the >>>
    he salesman was round he told us that from the grid we would get more than what we needed to pay to cover the repayment costs <<<
  • adandemadandem Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have proof of their projections, you can claim for mis-selling I think? Do they estimate on an average though?
  • No it was just verbal the written stuff has come through now the solar panels have been installed.
  • statorstator Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're only getting the paperwork after they've been fitted? Haven't you signed something already?

Complain to the company in question but if they deny it there's not a lot you can prove.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    12.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elaineb89 wrote: »
    We have just had solar panels fitted. When the salesman was round he told us that from the grid we would get more than what we needed to pay to cover the repayment costs. I now have the figures in writing and we only get half of what the repayment costs are. Where do we stand? We only took them thinking the repayment costs would be covered by what we would receive from the grid as we couldn't afford them otherwise.

Hiya Elaine. Are you basing returns on recent generation, as PV generates most during the summer months, and least Nov to Feb?

To get a very good guesstimate of annual generation try the PVGIS site.

If you aren't sure what to enter, then there is a walkthrough in section 5 of the PV FAQs.

Once you know the generation you can work out your annual FiT and export income, then allow an extra £120 (£80 to £160) for leccy savings.

If you want some more help, then post some general info for us to peruse and comment on:
    system size
    approx location (nearest city)
    roof orientation
    price
    generation estimate from the installer
    income estimate from the installer

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • gjchestergjchester Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

Winter is a lousy time for panels, mine usually generate less than 20p a day currently, today is 10p.

You need to wait a year to get the total picture, as Summer will see mine rise to the £6-£7-£8 a day range. My payback time is going to be around 12.,5 years.

That said if you have a short term loan then yes you may find they will not cover the repayments.
  • Thanks we were told we would get well over £103 a month from the grid.
  • Andy_WSMAndy_WSM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks we were told we would get well over £103 a month from the grid.

You may well get a lot more than that in the Summer, but not this time of year.

Unless you answer Martin's list of questions above no one can help you any further as we'd all be guessing, which is pointless.
  • Andy_WSMAndy_WSM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    gjchester wrote: »
    Winter is a lousy time for panels, mine usually generate less than 20p a day currently, today is 10p.

I've done 7.5kW today, earning £3.70 ish. :)
  • We are in Mintlaw, Aberdeenshire
    It's a 4kw
    South facing.
    Estimated over £103 a month
    We paid £7995.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News