Sea Life, Birmingham - a little info please?

Hoping someone has been there recently, as the website isn't very forthcoming :)

I need to know if Brindley Place is the best parking for disabled access, or whether there is anything closer (and what's the terrain like - is it flat or hilly?).

Also, is there a picnic area or cafe at the Sea Life centre?
(A picnic would be easier for us as there are 10 in the group, but don't want to have to leave the centre to find somewhere to eat halfway through) If there's a cafe, how well priced are they?

And would anyone say it was a full day or half day visit when you're talking about pre-schoolers?

:)
DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts

Comments

• elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Hoping someone has been there recently, as the website isn't very forthcoming :)

I need to know if Brindley Place is the best parking for disabled access, or whether there is anything closer (and what's the terrain like - is it flat or hilly?).

For access you're better off using the car park - but it is really expensive!!!! However there are NCP's nearby and pavements around are really wide! - No stairs or hills unless you come from New St area - then it's uphill a bit.

Also, is there a picnic area or cafe at the Sea Life centre?

Yes to both ( I think - it has been changed around recently)- however you are right in the middle of Brindley place - loads of benches in the square and also loads of cafes and bars there and along Broad St

(A picnic would be easier for us as there are 10 in the group, but don't want to have to leave the centre to find somewhere to eat halfway through) If there's a cafe, how well priced are they?

Normal city prices - about 30% less than London but 10% more than a town

And would anyone say it was a full day or half day visit when you're talking about pre-schoolers?

Few hours really - It's a bit of a rip off unless you go round twice - which I did last time - LOL. Try and find some vouchers.

Hope the above helps
    Elise
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just got back from a Brum trip with the monsters. The Sea Life in Brum is one of the better Sea Life centres.

The signs to Sea Life direct you to park in the Brindley Place car park. This is the car park attached to the National Indoor Arena. There seemed to be a lot of disabled spaces on one level. The disabled spaces are on the odd numbered levels as this is where the lift goes down for access to Sea Life. Don't park on the even numbered levels as you'll need to use the lift and stairs. The car park is pay and display but I'm not 100% sure if disabled/blue badges have to pay as we had to pay. We visited Sea Life in the afternoon after Cadburys World and I'd recommend that you visit first thing in the morning as disabled parking seemed to be full with a few people waiting. There was a helpful attendant directing people.

Once out of the car park theres about a 400-600 yard walk on flat block paving to the bridge over the canal. IIRC there's one arched bridge that may be a huff and a puff to get over. Once over that it's level towards the entrance.

Once in Sea Life the displays are arranged over an upward slope. I imagine it would be easier if your wheels were power assisted. Once up top you take the lift down to the underwater viewing tube and you exit through the shop and cafe and come out at canal level. Outside there is a slope with protruding brick grips to bring you up to the arched bridge level.
    The man without a signature.
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thank you both - that's all useful to know :)

The site did say the car park is only a minutes' walk from the centre - at 400-600 yards I assume they got a speed walker to time it, lol. A minute for the disabled member of our party is about 100 yards on a good day.

But now we know, we can make allowances in our schedule.

Are there many/any seats in the Sea Life centre? Places to stop and sit on the way around the exhibits? And is the slope obvious/steep or not that noticeable to an able bodied person?

DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Along the main windy slopes up to the top I don't think there are many seats if any. But we stopped quite often to look down on the people entering and you also look down on the exhibits that you've passed. Once up top near the lifts to go down to the underwater tunnel there are seats and toilets. Near the ray and mini shark pool there are steps and the front of the pool that people were sitting on.

The slope is fairly gentle for an able bodied person - imagine a slope on the side of a hill with hairpin bends. I think that because you can stop so often to look at exhibits you wouldn't find the slope too hard as you don't tend to do it all in one go.
    The man without a signature.
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Just to update the thread, as we went today.

There is a car park nearer than the one mentioned. It's on Brindley Place/Brunswick Street (search Google maps for 'brindleyplace' - all one word). The disabled spots are all on ground level near the exit, and it's pay on return, so you only pay for what you've used. We paid £3 for what I think was about 3 hours. The pavement slopes down towards the Sealife, but there are no bridges or humps to negotiate.

You can quite easily end up at the previously mentioned car park though as that's where the signs take you - luckily hubby had hit Google maps last night and seen this other one.

There are limited benches around the Sealife centre, the first being just after the Touch Pool, another near the seahorse, and one just before the otters. Just before the lifts, there are a few picnic tables both inside and outside, along with a 'tuck shop' for want of a better word.

Once back outside (after gift shop) we went to the left and over the bridge described by vikingaero - this is the shorter route back to the car park, although I have a feeling the other direction would be more level.

Hope this helps others planning to go, and thank you again to all the posters who helped - it was a lovely day, and the whole group (18 months to almost 60 years) enjoyed themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure