Application fees refund - what are my options

Hello everybody,

Yesterday I applied for a Chelsea mortgage, I am remortgaging and paid a non refundable application charge of £130 When I applied for the mortgage I was not aware that I had to hire solicitors for this remortgage.

I received an email on the same day I paid application fees asking for solicitors details and I called chelsea to hold on my application and explained the situation. They said that they may consider refunding the fees. Today when I called them they told me they cannot refund the fees and I can raise a complaint to be resolved.

What are my options in case Chelsea decides to not refund the fees can I call my credit card company to stop the transactions?

The solicitor information was not provided on the mortgage information but it was one of the question on the application form online which I am not sure if I answered. I couldn't submit the application online as there was an issue and had to call them to submit the application on my behalf.

Anybody had to deal with this situation?

Regds

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What are my options in case Chelsea decides to not refund the fees can I call my credit card company to stop the transactions?

You can dispute the charge with the credit card company but they will ask Chelsea if it is a genuine transaction for a purpose and they will verify that it is and your credit card company will take the money back off you.

You should complain to Chelsea if you disagree with their response. If they still refuse, then you can refer your complaint to the FOS (but not before Chelsea have responded).

It really comes down to the what the key features illustration says as that should set out fees and terms and should be issued to you before applying for a mortgage.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Dunstonh, thank you for taking the time to respond. I am awaiting Chelsea's response at the moment.

Regds
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport