Redundancy new job offer

Hi , Just been made redundant from the 31/12/2014 from a large company after 20yrs service.
Now I am accepting my redundancy package and there is a job offer within the same group but different business as transport manager ...
If I accept redundancy can I go back and work for the same company after 3 months period or is it longer ...

thanks

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Whats the company policy on any enhanced redundancy payments?

There is no 3 month rule for statutory.

As long as it is a proper redundancy then if business needs change they can rehire as soon as needed.

Why are they not putting this up as a potentialy suitable alternative as part of the consultation process?
  • Kacey2877
    Kacey2877 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 8 December 2014 at 4:53PM
    They have offered me to carry on employement , but I want to take my redundancy package then re apply for the job role .... They mentioned to me this morning it could be a 6 months period before they can re employ me .. but I thought it was 3 months ..
    The reason being due to the tax as they explained ...
  • When I was made redundant from my previous job, I was told that the company policy is no re-employment for 12 months after redundancy.

My memories are a bit hazy now, but I remember somebody saying that the tax office may take an interest if a company starts paying people redundancy (tax free), and then immediately puts them back onto the pay roll. The redundancy money may be construed as pay - with no tax or NI (employer + employee) deducted.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Kacey2877 wrote: »
    They have offered me to carry on employement , but I want to take my redundancy package then re apply for the job role .... They mentioned to me this morning it could be a 6 months period before they can re employ me .. but I thought it was 3 months ..
    The reason being due to the tax as they explained ...

If they have offered to redeploy with a suitable alternative then they could just say take it or resign with no redundancy.

The company can make any policy they like for reemployment, you finish take the redundancy and then apply for any jobs once the company imposed time limit has expired and hope that you get the job.

There is no 3month rule it is down to the circumstances of the redundancy and reemployment if both genuine there is no tax risk.

The 3 month sometimes get quoted as that is the limit for taking the employer to an ET.

Many employers try to avoid short gaps even where there is a genuine process, as they do not want any chance of an employee getting continuity of employment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure