Bank Overdraft Charges

Options
Hi All,

Sorry to ask a silly question but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this, and I'm confused between the different bank charges.

I had already gone to Halifax with the charges for going overdrawn and received the majority of my money back a couple of years ago. Since then, they changed my agreement and made it so that I now pay I think £1 per day for my arranged overdraft and a more expensive amount for going over my arranged overdraft. As I'm totally skint, I spend my whole life in my overdraft as I work part time and my wage doesn't cover me getting out of my overdraft, so I'm never out of it. This month, my charges are £45, and that's about normal each month. I'm in receipt of tax credits and working tax credits, but those only just pay off the nursery bills so I can work.

Am I able to claim these back? Or when people refer to getting charges refunded, do they mean the charges I've already had back i.e. the ones for bouncing a direct debit?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I doubt the Bank will offer any additional goodwill payment of charges. Do remember that the Bank are under no obligation to refund anything.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    CathG78 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Sorry to ask a silly question but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this, and I'm confused between the different bank charges.

I had already gone to Halifax with the charges for going overdrawn and received the majority of my money back a couple of years ago. Since then, they changed my agreement and made it so that I now pay I think £1 per day for my arranged overdraft and a more expensive amount for going over my arranged overdraft. As I'm totally skint, I spend my whole life in my overdraft as I work part time and my wage doesn't cover me getting out of my overdraft, so I'm never out of it. This month, my charges are £45, and that's about normal each month. I'm in receipt of tax credits and working tax credits, but those only just pay off the nursery bills so I can work.

Am I able to claim these back? Or when people refer to getting charges refunded, do they mean the charges I've already had back i.e. the ones for bouncing a direct debit?

Thanks in advance.

As you have already had a refund of your charges in the past, that remedy obviously doesn't work for you.

Post your SoA on the Debt Free Wannabe board (details on that board on how to do that) and I'm sure you will receive some really good advice, help to get you back into the black, and save all those pesky fees you are incurring :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure