🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Default on credit file for disputed Vodafone bill

Options
Hi,

About a year ago I found that Vodafone had been overcharging me for some months, I paid by direct debit so under the direct debit guarantee I received a refund.

I then had some bills from Vodafone and went through the full complaints process. I sought some advice online and I was then in contact with a special team to resolve cases such as this.

I provided all of the details and they were to investigate, I last heard from them in November 2013 when they said they would "be back in touch with me as soon as possible".

Since then I heard nothing from them and assumed the matter was closed. However I recently applied for a credit card, having had a perfect credit rating I was surprised to be declined.

I have now checked my credit file and this Vodafone money appears on it as "defaulted". How can I get this resolved, I am very annoyed about this since it is now having an effect on me, for money I didn't owe in the first place and also if I want to get a mortgage in the future I might not be able to..

Please advise, thank you very much in advance.

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Is the default date after November 13?
    You will need to contact Vodaphone and explain the position and ask why you have had no correspondance since November 2013 relating to the dispute and why they have recorded a default without answering your dispute or providing you with details of the debt.

I would raise the issue in writing rather than by 'phone.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • thebritishbloke
    Options
    Unfortunately you've learned the hard way that if you're in dispute over payments with a credit or utility service, pay them and then dispute it. You can always get a refund, but as you haven't paid they might still say that you did default so won't remove it from your file.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • chaotic_j
    Options
    Hi Tixy,

The default date is 1st January 2014 i.e. *after* I was in touch with their social media representative who was meant to be dealing with the dispute..

If I remember correctly he *may *have told me over the phone it would all be put on hold? as I expressed concern at the time about having a black mark on my credit card file.

Would I be best contacting this person again to query why they did not get back to me and ask for the black mark to be removed? or just write to them in general?

Is there anyone else I can report them to for acting in a potentially illegal manner?

Thanks in advance,
    chaotic_j
  • thebritishbloke
    Options
    If you still have contact details for this person, I'd give it a go contacting them. If they can't sort it or don't work there anymore, one common option is to email the CEO of the company. Now, 99% of the time the CEO will never read it, but it does usually get passed on to a higher-up customer service team. You can get the Vodafone CEO's details here.

P.S. I wouldn't say to them that you think it's illegal, at least not until you've done your research and had a professional opinion that it's illegal. Just be nice to them but let them know how it's affected you etc.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • Tiny_Tina
    Options
    chaotic_j wrote: »
    Hi,

About a year ago I found that Vodafone had been overcharging me for some months, I paid by direct debit so under the direct debit guarantee I received a refund.

I then had some bills from Vodafone and went through the full complaints process. I sought some advice online and I was then in contact with a special team to resolve cases such as this.

I provided all of the details and they were to investigate, I last heard from them in November 2013 when they said they would "be back in touch with me as soon as possible".

Since then I heard nothing from them and assumed the matter was closed. However I recently applied for a credit card, having had a perfect credit rating I was surprised to be declined.

I have now checked my credit file and this Vodafone money appears on it as "defaulted". How can I get this resolved, I am very annoyed about this since it is now having an effect on me, for money I didn't owe in the first place and also if I want to get a mortgage in the future I might not be able to..

Please advise, thank you very much in advance.

Reclaiming money under the DD guarantee does not affect anyway the underlying contract.

In fact, if I understamnd you correctly, Vodaphone then sent you further bills (presumably reflecting the fact they didn't get their money because you used the DD Guarantee).

You raised a complaint, and then "Since then I heard nothing from them and assumed the matter was closed"

That was the mistake you made.

The default reflects accurately how the creditor feels you have acted in regards to the credit agreememt

One possible 'get out of jail free card' you might want to look further into is whether, as the amount was possibly subject to dispute, collection activities (and hence ultimately a defualt) was the correct course of action.

However, you not receiving a response to your complaint doesn't mean one was not sent. Perhaps one was sent and they did not uphold your complaint.

It all depends on the details ...
  • Tiny_Tina
    Tiny_Tina Posts: 32 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2014 at 10:09AM
    Options
    Hi Tixy,

The default date is 1st January 2014 i.e. *after* I was in touch with their social media representative who was meant to be dealing with the dispute..

If I remember correctly he *may *have told me over the phone it would all be put on hold? as I expressed concern at the time about having a black mark on my credit card file.

Would I be best contacting this person again to query why they did not get back to me and ask for the black mark to be removed? or just write to them in general?

Is there anyone else I can report them to for acting in a potentially illegal manner?

Thanks in advance,
    chaotic_j

Are you having a laugh?

To make a formal complaint, you need to follow their complaints procedure.

So, based on this fact, it sounds like the default registered is a correct reflection on how you managed your credit account, and will serve as a warning to others who you ask to extend credit to you.

As regards "for acting in a potentially illegal manner"
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • chaotic_j
    chaotic_j Posts: 453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Tiny Tina,

Thanks for your input, in my first post I stated:

So I did go through their complaints procedure. I never received any further correspondence concerning the dispute, so I'll raise it with them again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport