We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Challenge default account on credit record

Options
Hi all,

I thought this would be a good place to get some advice :)

I have recently looked at my experian credit record, it shows a "Delinquent" status of a bank account i had. If anyone could offer any advice on whether this could be challenged I would be very grateful.

I opened a student current account with Lloyds TSB in 2008, this included a £200 interest free overdraft. I left the account unused at -£200 for the following 4 years.

In late 2013 the overdraft stopped becoming interest free. For the following months a small amount of interest was charged to the account (taking it over the 'planned £200 overdraft limit)

I left the account running with interest being charged for a number of months, approx 10 months in total. (One of my statement letters in July 2014 even said "you do not need to take any action when you receive your summary"

I finally settled the account in Nov 2014.

So, experian lists this account as having 6 payments late in a row, and therefore a "Delinquent" status.

Surely if I there were no payments agreed with the lender, and nothing to say a payment was required from the lender. I cannot be accused of missing payments etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Rocky_Joe,

Having a delinquent status on your report could cause problems if you were to apply for credit. It does sound like the bank were expecting payments to bring the overdraft back within it's limit.

If an account is over its overdraft limit, lenders will usually record a late payment as the account is not being run in accordance to the agreement.

However if they have sent out statements advising that you to take no action, then I can see how this would confuse the situation.

We can query the information that the bank have supplied for you, if you email your details to us ([EMAIL="uksocialsupport@experian.com"]uksocialsupport@experian.com[/EMAIL]) we will be happy to do this, and mark the information as disputed while we do so.

Kind regards
    Neil
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family