STUDENTS – get a £33.88 refund on your TV license

Options
Each and every student living in a student halls of residence is required to have a TV license if they wish to have a TV in their room.

They can claim a refund of the final quarter of the TV license provided that they can prove that they did not use a TV at the property ie the room that it was purchased for, during that final quarter. The final time that a TV can be used in the room can be proved by the end date of the students contract to occupy the room. The definition of a full quarter is three complete and consecutive calendar months. The start day of the license is the day that it was purchased.

Take the following example:

A students room contract runs from the end of September / start of October until sometime in June. If the Student purchases a TV license on September 30th they will not be able to prove an unused three consecutive calendar months and will not get a refund.

However, if they purchase a license on 1st October they will be able to prove that July, August and September were unused and can apply for a refund.

To claim a refund they need to write to the address below before the license expires.

The Refund Group
PO Box 410
TV Licensing
Bristol
BS99 5HP

It is important to note that it is illegal to use a TV without a license. The best way to prove that this has not happened is for the student not to have a TV in their room prior to having a license.

Comments

• Broke_Student
    Options
    Excellent tip for those who do actually pay for thier TV license!
    They say you can't put a value on life... but I live it at half price!
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    great idea - do people have to wait until the end of September to claim, or is it ok to go ahead and start now?
    :happyhear
  • Oxfordian
    Options
    Claim as soon as you've vacated your room
  • TeaBoy_2
    TeaBoy_2 Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    I applied and was refused because i couldn't provide enough evidence. i sent them a letter confirming my end of term date but because my halls contract lasted another month i couldn't send any further proof.
    a better tip is to not pay them in the first place.
    What's it going to be, eh?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport