We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Experian won't change electoral data. Help!

Options
My partner and I want to buy a house together. My credit score is shiny-shiny, but during the mortgage application we found that his score was low because he wasn't on the electoral register at our current address.

He moved in with me in May, and (according to the local electoral board) has been registered since 13th August. He contacted both Experian and Callcredit on 29th Sepember to tell them that their data was wrong, and sent them (by email) a copy of the official letter confirming his addition to the register. Callcredit fixed the problem within 2 weeks. Experian did nothing except wait for the regular electoral updates from the council.

A month later he contacted Experian again, to ask about the progress of the correction. They said' Yes, we can see that it's incorrect, but we can't accept that letter as proof, we need an encrypted data packet from the council. They've been running a bit late with all the new registrations because of the independence referendum (we're in Edinburgh). Phone back in 2 weeks.'
Phoned back 2 weeks later to fine that they've still done nothing.
Phone the council, to find that he's been on the register since August and would have been on the list in both the October and November updates. The council can't do anything else other than send him another letter, which Experian won't accept apparently.
Phone Experian back and ask them to contact the council to request HIS electoral status. 3 weeks later they say that the council hasn't replied and there's nothing they can do. He can't do anything to chivvy the council along because THEY made the request, but won't follow it up. It took him 15 minutes to pick up the phone and speak to someone at the council who could tell him he's on the register, and another 3 days for them to send the paperwork.
We're now having similar problems with Equifax, who are saying that there's nothing they can do until the New Year because it's within the canvassing period.

We've lost out on 2 houses so far, and it's really starting to get me down. Why is it that it's ok for them to knowingly provide false information to lenders? Aren't they obliged to correct it? WE can't access the request they've made to the council. And how come Callcredit managed to fix the problem in a fortnight when we've been waiting for 9 weeks for Experian!

Is there ANYTHING that we can do on our end to get things moving? HELP! :(

Comments

• Hazzinho
    Hazzinho Posts: 742 Forumite
    Options
    If you've provided evidence then no, it was enough for Callcredit but the other two aren't happy with that for some reason. An Experian rep comes on here quite often so hopefully they can explain why council evidence isn't enough.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Ninjabel
    Ninjabel wrote: »
    My partner and I want to buy a house together. My credit score is shiny-shiny, but during the mortgage application we found that his score was low because he wasn't on the electoral register at our current address.

He moved in with me in May, and (according to the local electoral board) has been registered since 13th August. He contacted both Experian and Callcredit on 29th Sepember to tell them that their data was wrong, and sent them (by email) a copy of the official letter confirming his addition to the register. Callcredit fixed the problem within 2 weeks. Experian did nothing except wait for the regular electoral updates from the council.

I would really like to help you and your partner with this, I am sorry to hear this is getting you down and the experience you’ve both received thus far when dealing with us.

I understand that you would like this issue resolved as quickly as possible which is why I want to personally establish what has happened with the conversations your partner has already had with us. To enable me to do this could your partner please [EMAIL="uksocialsupport@experian.com"]email me[/EMAIL] with the following details Name/Dob/Address including postal code.

I want to resolve the issue for you both as you’ve mentioned that your local council have confirmed to you that your partner has been registered at the current address since 13th August. Once I have received your partner’s email I would be more than happy to help.

Kind Regards
    James Jarvis
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Ninjabel
    Ninjabel Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you SO much, I'll pass on your message right away
    :j
  • Ninjabel
    Ninjabel Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I can't get the email linky to work :(
    Please can you message me a direct email address?
    Thanks
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Brooker_Dave
    Options
    How has it got to the stage that private companies wishing to profit from people's personal data can prevent so many from simply having somewhere to live?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2014 at 11:04AM
    Options
    Hello James Jarvis, I am in a similar position and have sent you an email, thanks. Does it make a difference if you are removed from the edited list I think they call it? I have checked with the council and I am definitely on the electoral roll.

Update: there was a word missing in the address causing it to not register on Experian, now sorted hopefully!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport