We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Experian report not showing default

Options
J33
J33 Posts: 31 Forumite
edited 3 December 2014 at 1:13PM in Credit file & ratings
Hi everyone

After an ordeal getting my credit report, thank god Experian has the option to do it by post and send it abroad and so I got a copy (again a big thanks to Neil and James).

According to Experian I have a CCJ from late 2010 which I knew about and a default from my mobile contract just before that in mid 2010 (2k debt in total for these).

However there should be a defaulted student account from Natwest which for some reason does not appear on the report.I was with Natwest almost 7 years and had a Step account which I eventually upgraded to a student account with a 1k overdraft and then defaulted on it.

Furthermore I had an extra 1k debt towards my Uni fees.I was self funding my studies (no loan or anything) and due to some hardship I couldnt pay my full tuition fees so I struck a deal with the Uni finance office directly which allowed me to finish my studies ,then however I broke the agreement for the final instalment and couldnt pay the remaining 1k though I was allowed to graduate (with a commendation non the less hehe) . For a period of more than 1 year this debt collection agency was chasing me (basically they could only email me since I was abroad) for the fees.I kept dodging the bullet while keeping in contact with them until I managed to secure the funds and repay the remainder of my fees and got my MSc posted to my overseas address.

Now my question is why dont these appear on the report?I have provided all the previous addresses etc.I must add though that for my Natwest account I dont remember giving them any consent when the upgrade to student account happened.They just asked a letter from my Uni as far as I remember.Btw Natwest apparently upgraded my account and gave me the overdraft while I was on the CCJ (!!!),off course I had no idea at the time that I was on a CCJ.

I will be returning to the UK some time next year and due to some serious financial decisions that I need to take I want to know exactly how long i ll be blocked from mainstream banking.

Can anyone help as to why these dont appear on the report?

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    How long ago did you default on the overdraft?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • J33
    Options
    3 years ago
  • Tixy
    Options
    It may be that the debt collector does not report to experian (so it could be on your equifax or callcredit report).

It is even possible that your bank account is still open and not defaulted (unless you know you got a letter to recall it).

Re the Uni fees - unlikey they ever had your permission to share information with the credit reference agencies.
  • J33
    Options
    Tixy wrote: »

It is even possible that your bank account is still open and not defaulted (unless you know you got a letter to recall it).

I called them last year from abroad and they referred me to a debt collector agency so I know the account is closed.

Also, could it be a case that the agency for the uni fees does not have permission to report these to credit ref agencies?
  • Tixy
    Options
    If the original creditor did not have permission then any future owner of the debt (such as a debt collection agency) would also not have permission.
  • J33
    edited 3 December 2014 at 1:55PM
    Options
    Yep I am sure I didnt provide any consent to the Uni for this.I just wrote a letter explaining my extenuating circumstances ,then we set up a meeting with a lady and discussed an instalments plan that would allow me to continue my masters.I didnt even sign anything she just asked my account details for DD.I remember this.

So that leaves the Natwest default....I am sure Natwest reports these to Experian...I ve found a list somewhere saying that Natwest uses Experian.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NatWest report to Call Credit, Experian, and Equifax.

However depending on when the account was opened it wouldn't report to either.

If it's not being reported just see it as an advantage to yourself.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • J33
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    NatWest report to Call Credit, Experian, and Equifax.

However depending on when the account was opened it wouldn't report to either.

The account was opened early 2008 initially as a Step account, then as I started work they upgraded me to current account and then student account as I went back to Uni.

I am happy to see it as an advantage but it makes me a bit insecure not knowing exactly how long mainstream banking wont be an option for me.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2014 at 3:29PM
    Options
    Hi J33
    J33 wrote: »
    The account was opened early 2008 initially as a Step account, then as I started work they upgraded me to current account and then student account as I went back to Uni.

I'm glad to hear that you've received your Credit Report and thanks for the mention in your first post, I would really like to help you with the issue you are now experiencing.

If you would like me to investigate why the accounts are no longer showing on your credit report, please could you [EMAIL="uksocialsupport@experian.com"]email me [/EMAIL]your details (name/dob/address) I would be more than happy to help establish the reasons why this happened.

I wish you the best of luck with your financial decisions when you return to the UK next year.

Kind Regards
    James Jarvis
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • J33
    Options
    Thank you James
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income