We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing Current Accout

Options
What does changing your current account do for your credit worthiness?

Would like to change, but have got to a really good place with all credit and will be looking to purchase a property in early 2015.
Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    mcpitman wrote: »
    What does changing your current account do for your credit worthiness?

Very little.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Mcpitman,

Congratulations on getting your credit to a place you want to be!

In the short term opening a new account could cause a reduction in your credit worthiness, this is because a new search will be recorded, and while the account is new, lenders may also want to see how well you run the new account before offering further credit.

Our Ask James page deals with this question in more detail here

If you are planning on applying for a mortgage in the next few months this might be worth considering.

Good luck with the mortgage whichever option you decide!
    Regards
    Neil
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks all, a simple answer to a simple question.

Think i'll leave it until after the house purchase, I have a good 15 year history with current provider, just the account doesn't offer any extra's. (without cost).
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport