We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

After bankruptcy ex still building up mortgage arrears

Options
Hello

Could you help me with my situation please? I am worried about my future credit file in March 2017 (6 years post bankruptcy) I think everything from the bankruptcy will disappear from my credit file at the 6 year point?
I hoped to be able to have a fresh start in 2017 with a clear credit file but there is outstanding mortgage arrears with NRAM which ex lives in the property.I included the NRAM mortgage and arrears in my bankruptcy petition in March 2011. Since then he makes payment arrangements, breaks them, then makes them again so is stringing the lender along, also he does not pay the service charge so NRAM are adding this to the debt each year to avoid repossessing the property.
If he continues what will happen to my credit file when my bankruptcy comes off in 2017? What impact will the NRAM mortgage arrears have in relation to my credit file from 2017?.
Im really worried his non payments (for a property/debt I have nothing to do with) will damage my credit file forever even though I was the one who went bankrupt to deal with huge debts we had.
Many Thanks for reading this,

Comments

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm taking a guess that your name is still on the mortgage here, which will mean it will continue to report.

Someone will probably correct me, though :)
    💙💛 💔
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    futurefree wrote: »
    Im really worried his non payments (for a property/debt I have nothing to do with)

The debt is jointly and severally yours. Presumably there's equity in the property that will settle the mortgage debt if the property is repossessed and sold.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    You may be better posting this on the bankruptcy section of the forum.

May also be useful if you explain how was the property dealt with in your bankruptcy. If there was a little equity often the OR would have sold your interest to the other owner. But if there was no equity then the OR may have taken no action and transferred it back to you.
    As it is more than 3years since you went bankrupt the decision on how to treat the property will have been made by now.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • futurefree
    Options
    Hi there, yes my name is still on the mortgage the mortgage was and still is in negative equity.
    I included it in my BR petition at the time of going BR

So if the mortgage account is still 'open' and still in arrears etc then am I right in thinking that for the experian/credit file my credit file will always show as bad?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family