We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Experian Credit Report

Options
Hi, I am using the free 30 day trial Credit Report from Experian.

It didn't really make much sense to me as i've never defaulted on any payments and in the past have had quite a lot of credit. Yet the score was in the middle (I know that its important).

So I rang up to talk to a real person and the lady said that because my current account was initially taken out before it came into force that banks ask your permission to send your details to them. They have no record of my account or the credit card I have.

Thing is I've recently changed current accounts, so the new one should be fine. Can I go back to my old provider and ask them to submit this information and would it be beneficial to do so

Comments

• Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    Kevlar7 wrote: »
    Hi, I am using the free 30 day trial Credit Report from Experian.

It didn't really make much sense to me as i've never defaulted on any payments and in the past have had quite a lot of credit. Yet the score was in the middle (I know that its important).

So I rang up to talk to a real person and the lady said that because my current account was initially taken out before it came into force that banks ask your permission to send your details to them. They have no record of my account or the credit card I have.

Thing is I've recently changed current accounts, so the new one should be fine. Can I go back to my old provider and ask them to submit this information and would it be beneficial to do so
    Welcome to MSE :wave:

Actually the score is NOT important. Potential providers of credit do not see this.

You can ask previous providers to do anything; whether they action your request is up to them. Nothing to lose by asking, although I wouldn't hold my breath.

BTW I'm impressed that you have made only one post but have been awarded a badge already :cool:
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • Kevlar7
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. I will pop in to my old bank and give it a try. I still have a Credit card with them so fingers crossed.

I saved £240 on my sky bill with Martin's haggling guide and the forum's Twitter feed kindly added the badge for me :)
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2014 at 11:56AM
    Options
    Hi Kevlar7,

Quite often older accounts won't show on your credit report as the lender never gained consent to share the information with credit reference agencies.

As Fruit and Nut Case has said there is certainly no harm in asking the lender to provide the information, however if the account is closed they may not be able to do this.

If you have recently opened a new account this can be seen by negative by lenders, until the account has had time to mature, as they may be concerned that if you open additional accounts you could become over-committed.

As the account gets older though, as long as it has been run without problems, it would be seen as positive by lenders.

if you have any questions about information on your report you can always [EMAIL="uksocialsupport@experian.com"]email[/EMAIL] us and we will be happy to help.

Regards
    Neil
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    Kevlar7 wrote: »
    I saved £240 on my sky bill with Martin's haggling guide and the forum's Twitter feed kindly added the badge for me :)
    Neat! :cool:
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business